New Member --- New Integra (my story)

Baby Ollie

Pokemon Master
Hello everyone,

This seemed like the best place to introduce myself, and my car. So here goes the story of how I got my Integra...

For the past couple years, I have been driving a 1995 Saturn Sport Coupe 2. It wasn't a terrible car, but it definitely wasn't anything to write home about either. About a month ago, the head gasket cracked. My mechanic qouted me about $1000 in part and labor, and then told me to guy buy another car. He specified import, low miles, and post 2000 with emphasis on Honda/Toyota.

So the search began. For whatever reason, I decided I wanted to buy a VW Jetta (no, I'm not gay). After a test drive, I liked it. It fit my budget of $4500, and was suprisingly sporty. However, the automotive gods didn't want me to drive one. I swear, it must be law that you have to have at least three accidents reported to Carfax a year if you own a Jetta...

Anyways time for a quick rewind... A few weeks ago, a Subaru dealership from a neighboring city was having a big sale in town. Nothing there really "fit" me, but I gave my information to a salesman who promised to call me when he found a car he thought would fit my criteria...

Last week, he called me. They got a 2000 Acura GS Sport Coupe on a trade-in. 98XXX miles, 5-speed, import, all stock and unmolested... Everything I wanted. He qouted me $5900 over the phone, but said he'd be willing to work with me a little bit on the price. He emailed me the Vin#, and I started looking up information about Integras. Obviously, they had pretty good revies for reliablity (biggest concern), safety and drivability. The KBB for the car, from a dealer, in my area was $7000. I barted the best I could, and the lowest I could get him on the sticker price was $4750. With tax and everything, that was $5326 out the door... This was out of my price range, but I decided to take a look. I Carfaxed the vehicle and saw there were no reported accidents, and the previous owners regularily had it detailed.

When I got off work on Thursday, my fiancee and I drove to the dealership. It was starting to get dark by the time we got there, but it was still light enough out to see how sexy the car was. My fiancee says she saw it all over face that I wanted the car the second I laid eyes on it.

I gave the car a good look over before test driving. I don't know squat about cars, but even I could tell that this one was in pretty good shape. There were a couple small dings I could see, and a few scuffs in the paint. However, for an almost 12 year old car, it looked great. There was no rust, no oxidation of the paint, or any other evidence of abuse. They hadn't detailed the car yet, but it was still very clean. The engine bay had not been cleaned, and looked good as well. The dipstick showed a full reservoir or clean oil. I looked under the oil-filler cap, and tehre was no sediment of any kind. The owners manual contained notes showing that all the scheduled maintenance was completed. The dealer told me that it was a couple in their mid fifties who traded it in, and they were so anal that they cut their address out of the registration so if someone stole teh car they couldn't figure out where they lived (WTF???).

The interious looked good. Some staining of the carpet, and a small tear on the driver-side seat where the previous owner rubbed against the leather getting in and out of the car. The radio was missing as well, I guess the previous owners wanted to take it with them. Otherwise, everything was there, worked, and looked good.

The test drive was pretty standard. The engine started right up, with no nasty blue exhaust to be seen. We drove a little through town, and a couple miles on the freeway. The clutch didn't slip at all, and the heater/AC worked great. There was a bit of road noise, but no rattling with the car. It handled well, and was still very peppy for having three people in it.

I really enjoyed driving it, and if money weren't an issue I would have bought the car right then and there. After the test drive, I spoke with the salesman a little longer and promised to call him the next day if I decided to buy. My fiancee and I spent the ride discussing finances; a conversation that carried through the rest of the night. She didn't want to spend the money, but agreed to let me buy the car if it was still at the dealership when I got off work the next day (she is awesome).

I bought the car. $5326.00 later, I proudly drove home in my new (to me) Acura Integra. I've put about 130 miles on it since driving it, and I am very happy with my purchase. I have not enjoyed driving so much since I got my license when I was 16. As of now, I'm not planning on "modding" it at all. Eventually I'd like to get fog lights hooked up, but that's it (I sure do dream big, huh?).

I do have a couple questions about the car:

1. Was I ripped off? It seems like I got a pretty good deal, but I am just going off of KBB.
2. What is the best place to shop for a radio? All the speakers are hooked up, I just need the radio itself. Is there a certain brand I should for? I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something that works and is around $100.
3. Besides the recomended maintenance, is there anything else that I can do to prolong the life the car?
4. The power windows seem kind of weak. Is this normal for Integras? They work consistently, they just aren't as fast as the other vehicles I've owned with power windows.
5. Is there anything that I should watch out for? Any big known problems?

So that's it. I'm a new Integra owner, and very happy with my purchase. I know almost nothing about cars, but have been scanning the forums trying to learn as much as possible.

Here is the only picture that I have of it right now. This is where it was parked when I picked it up from the dealer. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps answer my questions!

Last edited:

Ganyon

Welcome. Looks like mine. For the mileage and condition I think you got one hell of a deal. Can't wait to see you start doing a few things to it to call it, "your own".

Edit*
For a radio look on crutchfield. I personally have a pioneer radio that plays my iPod and has Bluetooth for that hands free calling. It was around 150. Is a pioneer deh4500 or something. I'll find the link for you.

Last edited:

nimf235

welcome, pretty clean, and stock is the best way to buy.... i think the price is fair. ive seen pretty shitty cars go for almost that much

treeafodo

Austin
To buy a radio you can go anywhere. I know lots of people who just go to walmart, pick up the head unit, and the wire adapter kit.

To make it last longer, its pretty easy, regular maintenance will help a lot. Just make sure when the time comes to do the timing belt.

Baby Ollie

Pokemon Master
@Ganyon:
Thanks for the link! I'll definitely look into it. So long as I can attach the iPhone to it and play music, I'll be happy. =]
Also, I really like the flasher housing on your car. Is that aftermarket, or did they change it from 99-00?

@treeafodo:
Thank you. I have one picture sitting in my email of the engine. I want to wash it before I take anymore pictures. I just have to find what the landlord did with the hose first...
I'll be sure to do that. I believe the book says 105,000 miles, but I'll double-check that tonight.

@nimf235
Thanks!

Last edited:

mendoza

Wow this car is really clean, i think you got an awesome deal! Most older people take really REALLY care of their car!

Baby Ollie

Pokemon Master
Snapped a picture of the engine:

Okay guys, here are pictures of the "dings" on the car. They look to small to be pulled out. I'm thinking this car sat in a garage and constantly had a door opened into it... That, or some kid went ape-crazy with a BB gun. If you have any suggestions on how to fix these, I'd love to hear them!

I know, I still need to wash the car...

Three pings:

Another dent:

See the small dent on the wheel well:

Also, all of the wheels have this little bit of scuffing on them... Is this something I will have to live with, or is there a fix? Personally, I think the stock rims are beautiful... It's just be cool if they didn't have the crap around the Acura badges. Also... It has one of the weird "locking lug nuts" on each wheel. Are the rims really stolen that much? I know Integras rank as one of the most stolen vehicles but... Damn...

I have also edited my first post to include a picture of the engine. Thanks guys!

OlegWasHere

1. Was I ripped off? It seems like I got a pretty good deal, but I am just going off of KBB.
2. What is the best place to shop for a radio? All the speakers are hooked up, I just need the radio itself. Is there a certain brand I should for? I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something that works and is around $100.
3. Besides the recomended maintenance, is there anything else that I can do to prolong the life the car?
4. The power windows seem kind of weak. Is this normal for Integras? They work consistently, they just aren't as fast as the other vehicles I've owned with power windows.
5. Is there anything that I should watch out for? Any big known problems?
1. No for under 100k ive seen them go for 8k even though the gs is the base model (lightest of them all) (but you probably don't wanna know how much the dealership paid for it.)
2.anywhere really online/ best buy/ hell even walmart. if you just want one to play the radio you dont need anything to fancy. i bought mine at best buy for 100 and they charged me 80 to put it in. (im not a wiring guy)
3.don't beat on it. (as in dont rev the s*** out of it every chance you get. plus it eats the gas if you do that)
4.depends on how slow they are mine take about 4-6 seconds to open. the passenger side being faster
5.oil leaks any kind of leaks actually.

but for a car owned by anal 50 year olds i dont suspect there would be any problems.

edit: as for the second post i believe that is a lock nut that prevents them from steeling the wheels.
i know a friend had a jetta that had one of those. needs special tools to take off

rexpepper123

wow thats not bad at all! mine was in worse shape and was about the same price! welcome to the club hope see some mroe pics in the future