How to replace front axle?

94teg2.0

I need to replace my front passenger side axel. It clicks every time im making a left turn. It will help out a lot if there is pictures on how to replace it. I am going to do it myself! Also what do i do to check back on my thread? Im always scrolling looking for my thread to reply to people! Thanks guys!

seahtech

First, click on "Thrread Tools" and then click "Subscribe to this Thread".

Here is how:

~Jack car into the air (If you dont know how to do this then you need to take your car somewhere else lol)

~Remove 4 lug nuts, if they are stock they are 19mm

~Loosen the castle nut on the bottom of the ball joint (the nut that is facing downwards below the brake rotor backing plate)

~Do not completely remove it just make sure it is a full 2-3 thread turned below the ball joint

~Take a hammer and hit the lower control arm at the point where the ball joint goes into it until it becomes lose and you can move the knuckle up and down
-to make this easier, if you have another jack, apply slight pressure on the bottom on the rotor and then hit the ball joint. It will come undone easier

~Next completely remove the castle nut

~Brake lose and remove the axle nut

~Remove the upper and lower wishbone bolts

~Crawl under the car and remove those half shaft bolts

~Pull axle out straight

~Take new axle and get it all lined up straight, then on the far end give it a nice little push until it seats itself all the way in the transmission

~Reassemble

~Test drive

justjdm

DB8 Whore
"Crawl under the car and remove those half shaft bolts"

What half shaft bolts?
He is talking about the bolts on the back of the block. That's what holds the mid shaft (half shaft) on.

festetech

leverage is your friend breaking and tightening the axle bolt. I believe mine was the size of 32 metric.

maltedbarley

It's easiest to brake the axle nut loose with the tires on the ground. It's a b**** too. I broke a 1/2 breaker bar trying to take one of mine off, ended up having to use an acetylene torch. I have a feeling the last shop to touch it went crazy with a impact wrench..

Last edited:

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
like what was said before, the axle nuts can be taken off much easier with the front of the car on the ground, and it is a 32mm sized nut. also dont pull on the axle itself when your trying to take it off because you will just separate the cv joints and grease will go everywhere, pull on the cup that is after the boot.