Heal-Toe Downshifting and Double Clutching

Baby Ollie

Pokemon Master
So I want to try and learn heal-toe shifting. However, I'm getting mixed messages from my research. I understand that for most tractor trailers you need to double clutch and rev match due to the synchros or whatever they're called. However, does double clutching by you anything in an Integra? Doesn't it unneccessarily add more time, or am I really missing something here?

I put this in the drivetrain section because it has to do with the tranny. Sorry if that's incorrect.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
from experience from the circuit, and ride alongs with members here jdmxdb8 and bigmac88 (well his buddy actually) we dont double clutch we rev match downshift, which is pressing in the clutch raising the revs to the proper area and releasing the clutch.

heel toe on the other hand is something different its where you press the brake press the clutch blip the throttle with your heel (i use my pinky toe) to raise the revs and then you are able to release the clutch, this is so you can brake, transfer weight and be in the right gear on corner entry for a corner its more of a circuit tecnhique, while rev matching you can do every day

Baby Ollie

Pokemon Master
from experience from the circuit, and ride alongs with members here jdmxdb8 and bigmac88 (well his buddy actually) we dont double clutch we rev match downshift, which is pressing in the clutch raising the revs to the proper area and releasing the clutch.

heel toe on the other hand is something different its where you press the brake press the clutch blip the throttle with your heel (i use my pinky toe) to raise the revs and then you are able to release the clutch, this is so you can brake, transfer weight and be in the right gear on corner entry for a corner its more of a circuit tecnhique, while rev matching you can do every day
Right, but rev-matching is supposed to be part of heal-toe; correct? At least "blipping" the throttle is... Some of the guides I've read have mixed in double clutching wtih heal-toe. From my understanding, this is only neccessary in tractor trailers. I just wanted to verify before jacking something up.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
rev matching is for straights
heel toe is for corners (mostly)
if you dont rev match from say 5th to say 4th the weight transfer is huge causing your rear end to come up. by rev matching you minimize strain to the drive train as well as making the car happy, in return a smooth weight transfer.

Galactica

Regardless it's definitely something that you spend a long time figuring out well. I've worked on it for 15 years and still don't have it perfect... I will say though, that Acura made the brake pedal and gas pedal on an Integra in just the perfect position for heel-toe shifting in regards to the distance between the pedals and also the depth that the gas pedal is in relation to the brake pedal. My GVR4 completely sucked donkey weiner for that....

99tegjawn

double clutching while accelerating gives your tranny a break instead of going from 6k rpm down to 3k when you shift double clutching lets the rpms drop, its the opposite of rev matching when down shifting. Basically you push the clutch in, go to neutral, then let the clutch out ( in neutral) then go to your next gear and let the clutch out. Double clutching can make your car feel like its an automatic when shifting. It also looks very confusing when done quickly for the first few weeks take your time and practice it slow. Dont try it fast first or your 100% likely to miss a shift. good luck :D

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING

This^

I started by taking certain corners I'm familiar with and just rev matching till I could gauge the RPM travel through gears, then I started learning how to blip by just having the car parked with my foot on the brake and blipping the throttle, after that, I just got use to the real deal. Off ramps are a decent place to start learning. Learn the full process in a straight before you start taking curves because if you over-rev it disturbs the car by making it launch a bit

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
This^

I started by taking certain corners I'm familiar with and just rev matching till I could gauge the RPM travel through gears, then I started learning how to blip by just having the car parked with my foot on the brake and blipping the throttle, after that, I just got use to the real deal. Off ramps are a decent place to start learning. Learn the full process in a straight before you start taking curves because if you over-rev it disturbs the car by making it launch a bit
i dont think rev matching is ever a good idea before a corner, you its alot of weird weight transfer for the car to experience IMO i did rev matching for the street and putting the car back in gear after being in neutral. Then i learned heel toe then i do both

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
I prefer to do most of my braking before entrance of the corner because of the friction split between braking and turning

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
When you heel-and-toe downshift, you're actually rev-matching. It's the same exact thing. I heel-and-toe downshift all the time. Before entering a corner and whenever I need to slow down like coming to a stop when there's upcoming traffic, stop sign, traffic light, etc...