P0420 Questions

Badass

My first guess would be to replace the cat, but got to talking to people and now I'm doubting myself.

99 Teg LS - I've had people say to replace the sensors first before the cat, but the only code showing is the 420, so that means sensors are good, right?

Also, people say this is the CEL light, meaning the service light? or also called D4? But, I have BOTH Check engine light on and the service light, yet only one code showing...:???:

RonnieJ86

if you dont have any other code but the P0420 CATALYST EFFICIENCY BELOW THRESHOLD replace the cat only way to fix it unless you buy an 02 simulator and for your maint light turn the key to the on pos, and under the dash on the driverside ull feel a box with a botton on the right side push and hold for 10 sec and that will have the main light go out.

Badass

Push a button and remove a light? wow, thanks. :D

And I guess time to do some catty shopping. I've heard hondas are picky about replacement parts like this, should i got for a OEM hitting close to $300 :cry: or could I use a high-flow performance part..

http://www.andysautosport.com/acura/1994_2001_integra/performance/exhaust/catalytic_converters

They have some for as cheap as $60, but seems like there isn't one with the location for a cat-back o2 sensor.

Some one also told me remove the old one and take a screwdriver, hammer and just 'wallow' it out, which is illegal but would still cause a fail in emissions?

EDIT: the stock CC looks like this: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Magnaflow-Catalytic-Converter/1999-Acura-Integra/_/N-jdqadZ9ixqf?counter=5&filterByKeyWord=catalytic+converters&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=887840_64164_2149_

BUT.. the price don't look right? lol :p

Last edited:

RonnieJ86

if you wanted to get a high flow performance one its fine but just make sure it is already fitted for a o2 sensor. just so you know your safe on the emissions.

Badass

True. I'll have to take a look at it again, I've notice they differ ALOT from years/body. Even the 98 and 99 ones are different. I'm pretty sure the 99 LS only needs one back o2 sensor.

But, thanks a lot, Ronnie. :)

Badass

Having problems finding the button for one of the lights..

I located one by the floor just above the foot rest, pressed an hand with key to on position, no results.

Is this the wrong button? Is there a rest on the TCM? or remove the dash under the steering wheel to get to the maintenance unit?

Edit: Got to looking at the Maintenance Unit again, never before noticed a reset button on it. Thank again..

Last edited:

RonnieJ86

the botton will but on the right side of the steering colum and it be a blue square i think

Badass

Maint. light isn't so much the issue anymore.. been to about 5 local part shops and NO ONE has a catalytic converter.

Any online places of parts besides ebay and amazon of cats for about $200 or less? or should i just gut the converter and get a o2 sim?

anymore info on an o2 sim?

RonnieJ86

im not too sure how the o2 sim would work but u can message this guy thats on here thenoxus1. he can probly tell u more bout it and how much it be.

mdan9193

Mdan
I have the same problem bro. My CEL is on and it says code P0420...something about the catalyst system below threshold. I heard that having exhaust leaks or whatnot may cause this.

I have a 98 LS. If you find out your problem please post an update..I want to rid of this problem i've never had any check engine lights on my car and this one popped up a month ago. I'm getting normal gas mileage so I'm not sure if anything is being affected because of this light.

ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS CODE??