Works Bell and NRG: Two Different End-Products

ZaWn

As requested by some CI users, I have created this thread to provide some enlightenment to those interested in or thinking about acquiring a quick release for a detachable steering wheel setup. It can be regarded for the safety of yourself and others around you. This thread is not in any way an attempt to demean the NRG brand. I am merely just supplying factual information, while expressing my opinions. ;)

Let’s start with How The Genuine Works Bell Rapfix II is Manufactured.

As most of you should be aware by now, Works Bell is the originator of the quick-release hub and has therefore perfected its ball bearing release and lock design; as mentioned in Modified magazine. They hold the patent for this technology and have been distributing the Rapfix since 2001; the year it was patented. To condense the whole manufacturing process, this is simply how the Rapfix quick-release is made:

The Works Bell Rapfix II Plug and Socket start out as billets of high strength A5056 alloy.This high strength A5056 Alloy is then heat treated to H34 standard which increases the yield strength of the metal by 60%, to approach that of Duralumin, widely known as a super strong material. Works Bell doesn’t stop there though... This high strength and heat treated A5056 Alloy is then cold die forged, which is the same process used in the manufacturer of ultra-high grade alloy wheels.

You can more read about these processes in detail in this article.

Next, we will examine the Advantages of Having a Works Bell.

Obviously, since Works Bell is the original, you will benefit by having the latest developed quick release technology and you know for sure what processes the quick release went through before being distributed and found itself in your hands. NRG, on the other hand, may not have gone through all of these processes since only Works Bells possesses the knowledge of it's true engineering procedures. It is also acknowledged that Works Bell is made in Japan, while for NRG, it cannot really be determined where it is manufactured; but most likely China.

Another good thing about the Works Bell quick release is that it’s made from forged aluminum as disclosed in the manufacturing process. Compared to the NRG quick release that is made from cast aluminum, the Works Bell quick release is more durable and and withstand more force which allows it to outlive it's NRG counterpart; people usually don't have the car long enough to find out. The quick release is attached to your steering column which transfers your steering input to the wheel of the vehicle. Wouldn't you want that connection to be solid?

Here are the different grain flows: Forged vs Machined vs Casted

Here is an in depth article that has a comparison of Cast, Forging and Machining for those interested in finding out how the processes determine the strength of the metal.

The final advantage of getting a Works Bell is that you get what you paid for. Works Bell had invested a profuse amount of time researching and designing their quick release, therefore, you are paying for something that's exclusive. While for NGR, they are only replicating the end product and therefore, you are paying for looks and not necessarily for quality. It may cost way less to produce these replicas and the price you pay does not have a significant difference to a Works Bell: Works is affordable and price of counterfeits are pretty close. The Works Bell Rapfix II also meets the safety standards set by ASEA (Auto Sports and Special Equipment Association) which is a Japanese equivalent of SEMA; you are paying for the time and money they spent to meet these standards. There are no known safety tests done by NRG, therefore, it is undetermined on how dependable their quick releases are.

Here's a walk-through of the quality control that Works Bell has implemented

Last thing on the list is, Things That Can Go Wrong With Knock-offs, Fakes, Copies and Counterfeits.

Not many people may have heard about this, but I have heard some cases where the quick release pops off while being driven. The reason may be because they wear out. As mentioned above, the replicas are not as durable as the authentic and they wear out more easily; especially when used for performance driving. The detents that the ball locks onto, have been known to wear and elongate. This means that the quick release no longer locks properly onto the steering column with the correct tolerances which will lead to the tolerances to be inaccurate and you end up with play in the steering which can be dangerous.

Here's a picture taken by Tuners Group:

Quoted, "This happens because a number of the companies making copies (particularly in Taiwan and China) either:
• (a) don't understand the metallurgy required to make quick releases with proper durability and materials, and the required heat treating, or

• (b) because they choose lower grades of materials than what the genuine Works Bell ones use, either because of ignorance or to make the copies more cheaply to make more profit on them."

Here is a video where the quick release pops of while being driven.

It is mentioned that the driver forgot to secure the quick release, however, having a Works Bell somewhat disproves this as you will not be able to steer the vehicle at all if the quick release socket is only over the plug and not securely locked in place. The only reason I can think of at this point is that, as explained above, the detents are worn and elongated and will not allow the quick release to lock properly.

Here is a link to a forum where the video is being discussed.

Another issue is that there is chance of the NRG quick release button popping off or falling off on you. Weaksauce actually created a tutorial to provide a solution.

Inquiring about this, I found some scenarios that people experienced with their NRG quick release. One guy had to be towed home due to something about the quick release being locked in place and another guy whose NRG quick release kept on spinning refusing to lock in place.

All in all, these factors were what led me into choosing the Works Bell Rapid II quick release over the NRG quick release. NRG has become a popular brand and they are probably the best of all the other replicas, however, the hub would probably the only product that I would consider buying; even the NRG lock has its issues. NRG may have a great replica of the Works Bell quick release, but nothing beats an authentic.

The original article by Tuner Group: http://www.tunersgroup.com/How_To_Select_A_Steering_Quick_Release_&_How_The_Works_Bell_Rapfix_II_is_made.html

More reading:
- NRG Lock

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2969749
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EZDVUHAcMg&feature=player_embedded

- WB and NRG Comparison

http://www.hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3820
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2471028

- Old and new Rapfix
http://www.worksbell.co.jp/en/products/rapfix/index.htm

-Z-

ZaWn

This thread is dedicated to OGstackadolla who will be personally upset if he wasn't warned about probability that the wheel could "prematurely ejaculate during a track venture" when using a replica brand like NRG. ;p Hehez. Just Jokin... love the way you use your words. :thumbs up:

-Z-

whitedc4

Or u could just post the links lol
I think pretty much everyone knows the deal between these two groups
Nrg Taiwanese
Works bell. Japanese!!
Nrg just has cooler colored crap I guess.

superhypered

(╯°□°)╯ ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
Actually I did not know the deal between the two, and I had no idea NRG were knock offs. Good write up, thanks for the info :)

jbrown97ls

Same here. Then again I've never really looked into getting a quick release. Thanks for the write up!

whitedc4

Oh well hey I kinda thought it was a big deal lol. Nevermind I retract my everybody knows that statement :thud:

XjoEnX

Nice info. I've always thought the Work's Bell release kit was an awesome upgrade. There is some great engineering behind it.

I own an NRG system though and have used it daily since January 2011 and think it's perfect. For anyone who was discouraged to buy NRG quick-release from this write-up here is my experience with it:

The main reason I chose it was because of catching multiple break-in attempts outside my girl's house at the time. NRG was a good brand and a local seller had everything I needed in stock, and in the color I wanted. :)

I drive about 100 miles every day for work and have taken a lot of road trips with it installed. I'll note that I don't track my car, I just drive aggressively and hook turns pretty fast and make lanes changes by pulling the steering wheel quicker than I should be. That is the extent of my Initial D skills (it's my commuter car after all).

With work and the amount of driving I do, I take the quick-release on and off about 6-8 times a day. So that's 7 average. So that would be over a year + approximately 90 days from this year which comes out to 455 approximate days I've used this setup. So for me its been on and off about 3,185 times. If I subtract the weekends it'll probably bring it down to approximately 3,100 times.

I'll say that since then, there has been no wear or any type of loose play in my setup. It still holds tight and doesn't shake or feel loose whenever I'm driving. I'm confident that next year (if I still have this car) I will still leave the same review. Overall, I'm one of the customers that will still loyal to NRG if they release a new product I'm interested in.

I took these photos today, and will be putting a little grease on it tomorrow. It hasn't worn down at all, except for scratches and color fading from putting it on and off. And also can't forget the important part as Rachel mentioned, it comes in different colors :)

XjoEnX

You know I also forgot to add that when taking off the steering wheel, I pull the quick release only, then pull off the steering wheel. Most people tend to do both at the same time which will cause the wear. So, don't that. :)

ZaWn

You know I also forgot to add that when taking off the steering wheel, I pull the quick release only, then pull off the steering wheel. Most people tend to do both at the same time which will cause the wear. So, don't that. :)
Both at the same time?! They must be in a hurry. :laugh:

But yeah, NRG is pretty popular so they must be doing something right even though they're a replica.

-Z-

whitedc4

If you google " nrg ____ <--- item) not fitting" you'll find hundreds of results lol

Not everybody knows about works bell they don't really advertise u could say

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Im going works bell. My what ever brand it is quick release needs an upgrade. So does my steering wheel. Thanks for the write up Thadya. Where did you get your kit from?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
If you google " nrg ____ <--- item) not fitting" you'll find hundreds of results lol

Not everybody knows about works bell they don't really advertise u could say
They dont need to. NRG needs to advertise via type etc because they need to be 'superior' in the market. There is a reason parts like Works Bell arent carried in most stores etc while NRG is. Any kid will buy NRG because the name and popularity. Works Bell has a name for its self in Japanese Motorsport so it has a reputation already. Its like how some products just dont need advertisements. People just know their superiority. Its like why Bugatti doesnt run commercials.

whitedc4

Ya I just think more people would buy if they knew about them and their quality in comparison