I need help possible "blown" engine

integra_mack

I apologize in advance for my ignorance

so long story short i was pulling out of a parking lot and as i accelerated i began to hear this clicking/popping/clanking noise and i started to lose power. as i slowly drove it would stall anytime i had my foot on the clutch or i was in neutral. i pull over and try to turn the car back on and it sounded like it wanted to turn over but couldnt.
**fun fact: my oil light had been on for about a week i was waiting for payday to get my oil changed.**

ppl ive talked to have told me i could have "thrown a rod" or it could be my timing belt and my only option is to buy a new motor. i have no clue whats actually wrong or how to fix it

all help would be greatly appreciated!!!!! thanx CI
99 ls 5spd b18b1

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
well...adding oil when the oil light came on would probably have been a good start. Did you ever think to check the oil level? Seems like you were burning oil slowly. you probably spun a rod bearing. The bearings spun because it absolutly needs oil to lubricate the bearing, it is made of soft metal so once there is no oil to lube it, it will slowly grind away.

integra_mack

well...adding oil when the oil light came on would probably have been a good start. Did you ever think to check the oil level? Seems like you were burning oil slowly. you probably spun a rod bearing. The bearings spun because it absolutly needs oil to lubricate the bearing, it is made of soft metal so once there is no oil to lube it, it will slowly grind away.
so is that something fixable?? and if so i should be able to just replace it right?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
your motor is done, your crank is probably done, your rod is probably done, i mean you can take it to a machine shop to have it checked out but it may be worth it to just get another motor. This is something that could have been prevented.

integra_mack

your motor is done, your crank is probably done, your rod is probably done, i mean you can take it to a machine shop to have it checked out but it may be worth it to just get another motor. This is something that could have been prevented.
yea its definitely a lesson learned. thanks for the help

Theasian

I agree sound like a spun bearing. Grab a ratchet and turn the crank. See how easy it rotates. But you could do a short block if you feel savey enough. But a long block would be easier.

Having run low on oil you likely scored the cam and journals. It would need to be inspected. I would honesly rec just going for a long block.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
short block is the fix. i would drain the oil and take apart the oil pan to see the bearing(s) drain the oil or whats left of it to see if there is metal in it.

Aqualite_Solid

DB7 no Aston
Yea its pretty much done for heat and friction isn't a good thing. Whenever that light comes on you should probly stop and get oil

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Theasian

I still rec checking the head and came. Had a few come through my dealer with spun bearings and cams typically have a lot of damage from lack of oil.

illmatic

Sorry Bro but unless your as engine savy as a actual mechanic or got alot of time on your hands to actually get in there and do it right. Your sorta F***ed like everyone is saying. . .i would ask why you didnt borrow money or beg autozone or something but thats just beating a dead horse. A new engine or car is your best option. I've been in your shoes before and it sucks. But after blowing an engine you learn to NEVER blow another one very quickly. Trust me it comes with the experience lol. Good luck with whatever you decide man :D

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I still rec checking the head and came. Had a few come through my dealer with spun bearings and cams typically have a lot of damage from lack of oil.
whats are the damages on the cams usually look like? This is some good information for future use

Theasian

whats are the damages on the cams usually look like? This is some good information for future use
You'll see a lot of scoring on the camshaft and on the cam journals. It will look a lot like crank damage. I'll get some pics of a motor at work where the head got toasted from low oil