Help I need your insights regarding my 01 gsr build NA

spiken

spiken
Hey im noobish so excuse my ignorance, I however am slowly catching up. Anyways Im planning on adding more ponies to my gsr 01 which already has..
b18c1
comptech 4-2-1 headers and cat back exhaust
injen cold air intake

I`m plannin on adding more stuff like..
choosing either between skunk 2 pro 3 cams,valves, springs and retainers
or
crowers stage 3 springs, valves and retainers ( this option is about 4 bills cheaper on fleabay!) so if theres really no noticeable difference I`d prolly go with these.

for pistons i plan on getting oem ctr pistons and skunk2 intake mani + TB 70mm
im plannin on getting at least 190-200 whp.. is that shooting for the stars, it is my DD so i dont wana destroy anything on the engine. and im just running this on stock gsr ECU p72 i believe.

Any input would be nice or suggestions.. but please use common sense . IM here to learn not to get mocked on:p:p

Last edited:

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Wrong forum, this section is for build threads but you can ask a mod to move it later.

Sounds like you have a decent goal and appropriate parts and the pro3/stage 3 cams should make over 200whp with the right combination of parts. You might want to consider the edelbrock performer x as a better IM than the skunk2 which is no different than the itr manifold. Honestly though stage3/pro3 is pretty aggressive for a daily driver and you will not be able nor want to run such aggressive cams on a stock gsr ecu. You absolutely will need a tune. How do you feel about running like s***? Probably not great.

What you have is a simplified list, you will need more parts to accomodate.

spiken

spiken
something you should read to better shed some light on cam choices
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2876703
thanks for ur input bro, i was thinking about the part where it maybe too aggressive to run the pro 3's and come out as a bat out of hell. So do u think that brian crower stage 2 + the edelbrock performer x should be a good combo? and is it better if i upgrade to an s300 ecu rather than just stock p72? will i see any further gains by doing so?:shock: wait so there's more parts that i need to invest in for it to reach at least 200whp? any recommendations please

Last edited:

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
My knowledge is limited to scratching the surface and my experience is even more limited. Probably 9 out of 10 times you will be recommended to get a s300 for tuning and yes it will be absolutley better running a ecu with the s300 so that its tuneable. A stock gsr ecu will not run or run like shit with that set up but i would bet that it wont even idle. For the fact that you thought you could run these parts without tuning, my best advice to you is to educate yourself more on the parts you are looking into and how your build should be put together. Research is a builds best friend. You should take a look at the builds on honda-tech or anywhere else that have cams you are interested in, look at ones with the whp goal you are trying to reach and otheres in general to see what parts list they have to familiarize yourself with what people are using to reach their goals. Its what i would do and have already done. Lastly, the tune is what allows you to run your parts together and brings out their maximum potential.