Retrofit a g3

TheSkygun

To start off this is my first retrofit and is far from perfect, just thought i'd make one so others on here could have one to kinda help along or ask questions.

also i used a number of other sites to learn how to do a retro and will be using a mix of them in this forum with pictures of what i did.

Tools: i will add the sizes i used once i find the packages)
butter knifes (used to separate the housing)
washers
screws
nuts
oven or heatgun (your choice, nemesisCBR used heatgun, i used oven)
screw drivers
sockets and ratchet
Dremel ( i can not say how much i wish i had one, i used a hack saw and metal file...)

needed to have a retro:
projectors ( i used rx330 afs)
bulbs (whatever the projectors require, mine required d2s. brand i used was Philips)
wire harness, can make our own or buy from hidplanet.com or theretrofitsource.com (i can say trs are great people)
ballasts (use what you want, i had philips ones in till one broke, now im rocking my ddmtuning ones)

time to start:
I am going to assume you all know how to take your bumper and headlights off; if not, maybe you should rethink this.

so after you get your lights out you need to remove all the rubber garments and metal parts that you can

this is what you want before oven (if you do it the way i did)

preheat oven to 400 degrees and once it is ready, turn off the oven before putting headlights in
biggest thing i here that gets messed up. now place one at a time on a cookie sheet in the oven for 4 minutes. now i was paranoid to melt mine so i watched and at 2 minutes i took out and was able to get the apart.

(borrowed image to show the cover off but bracket, reflector bowl, and oem projector in)

carefully remove these screws as to not let the reflector bowl drop and hit the floor or any damage it is very fragile and the reflective part can easily be messed up, do not even try to wipe it down, it will sratch.

now for the part that makes a retrofit for the g3 a pain, cutting out the oem projector because at the time either it was the best they could do or some sick person thought that having the projector molded to the bracket was the best thing ever :DDDD...... >:l no

remove these screws on both sides, carefully (or not) remove the silver part holding the lens, and carefully(or not) remove the lens(mine was somehow chipped when i opened it up).

these is what it will look like after
http://s152.beta.photobucket.com/user/ragingskydragon/media/20120911_011051.jpg.html?sort=3&o=92

now remove the two screws holding on the back of the projector

now the pain begins, the cutting
now if you use a dremel your life will be saved
if you use a hacksaw like me, be prepared to take breaks as to not destroy something dear to you that may be around. this will be how your progress my look (with a dremel because i "borrowed" these pics too).

you will want to get it as flat as possible
also there are the sides that you will have to shave away too to fit a projector
you will have to widen the hold that your new projector will sit into
make sure you spend lots of time here so that your projectors fit nicely, evenly with each other, and straight , the slightest tilt to them will through it off

those flares should not be there
as you can tell i have to fix this, which will be soon

now at this time i decided to take a break and use my tim eon another part, to clean the hell out of my oem covers

mmmmmmmmmmm

back to the retro

you will need to drill holes to send screws through the projector to mount to the bracket

as you can see there are extra holes
if not i can edit the pic

after that just fed the washers, lock washers, screws, and nuts how ever you fancy to make sure they do not come off inside the housing, or guess what you get to do again :DDDDD

this is how it will come out(as you can see, mine are off by a bit)

now it is time to reattach the bowl, bracket to housing, and cover to have them seal back up

after that reattach all the rubber garments and metal pieces

mmmmmmm look at those clean, clear covers

guess what, you finished the hardest part.

now to run your harness around, which i lack pictures of
pretty straight forward if you bought one. have the positive ring on the battery, have the negative somewhere on metal, i went on a bolt to the frame and fender. tuck your wires as you fed them to each headlight. attach one of the adapters from the harness to the ballast and the other to the stock headlight wiring, so that your headlights come on when switched on. and hook the ballast up to the bulbs in your headlights. Find a wall, and start aiming those projectors. enjoy your awesome lights and cutoff

EDIT: forgot to mention, the wider you make the hole to fit your new projector, the further back it will go. i did not widen mine too much because i did want the projector to sit further forward than oem

Last edited:

96LSteg

Jemel
probably the 3M lens restore kit...its the shiz...I used it on my lights

mendoza

Whatever he used, im going to get!!! I took my headlights apart to change the back cover but couldnt find something to clean the front covers, his turned out awesome!!

TheSkygun

It's the 3m kit that you can buy from autozone that attaches to a drill. Best thing ever to clean them up. Ill take a pic of it when I'm at my car.

Thanks for the positive fed back :thumbs up

TheCrimsonStar

My turn to gravedig. Took me forever to find this again! You worded it weird so I couldn't find it under "Headlight Retrofit" or "Projector Retrofit" lol

Anyway, I'm gonna do this as soon as my tax return comes in. Buying the FX-R 3.0 projectors to retrofit in as well as a DDM Tuning HID kit. Should be pretty much the same process as with your retro, yes?

TheSkygun

Yes it should be, might sit different based on how much you shave and widen, nemesis and I have the same projectors but I have mine set up to stick out more than his. Also I have the 35w ddmtuning ballast with Philips bulbs. I'd recommend a better ballast to warm up the bulb faster though if you don't mind spending more, when I had my Philips ballast the bulbs warmed up much faster then the ddmtuning ones.

TheCrimsonStar

Phillips ballast with ddmtuning bulbs? Does Phillips even make a 55w ballast? I'm gonna be using 55w

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

TheCrimsonStar

why do you want a 55watt ballast? hell 35watt will do the trick, MORIMOTO 3FIVE Ballast :D
Well I may try just the 35w. I had an eBay 35w 6000k kit in a crappy set of halo projectors that came with the teg when I got it. Then I got OEM headlights and now have an eBay 55w 6000k. I like the bluish look and I don't get that with the 55w 6000k kit. May just get 55w 8000k :D

The morimoto lights are super expensive...I can get a whole kit from ddmtuning for $50. My dad got some 6000K 55w for his jeep and they're awesome. Do you know if the morimoto 3fives are worth it?

Edit: I'm kinda confused lol. Are you saying use the morimoto 3five ballast with the ddmtuning bulb?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2