Hit the end of the rope, need some help (in depth video of my problem)

Keoman

Hi all,
HELP!!
have a project, been working on for a while. Car will not idle right no matter what I do.
First let me say, I have checked this thing over for vacuum leaks 6 times now using every available method I can find on the internet. (smoke, carb cleaner, brake cleaner, tube in the ear, etc etc..) All gaskets have been inspected very thoroughly. I cut the intake in half and added 45* silicone hoses to enable the intake to fit in my engine bay. Those hoses (brand new) have all been replaced this week, just because.

What sensors are new you ask?
O2, TPS, & IACV. TPS set to .5v
I have new spark plugs on the way.

Throw out some suggestions, I will respond with results.

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7hCW8Ss6Dk&feature=youtu.be

xZachTheRipper8

those are some lopey cams;) lol jk! my buddy has the same problem in his eg hatch and we cant figure it out:/ someone actually thought he was cammed too ! ahahah

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
I would have assumed they were related. But you bring up a good point. What do you suggest?
Underneath the throttle body there is a block attached to it - called the fast idle valve I believe - do you have the coolant lines ran through it or where they bypassed

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Nick_C78

Not sure if this is mentioned, but are there any check engine codes? Lots of sensors can cause issues like this. I have had my Engine Temp Sensor cause the car to idle higher and run rich. Not saying that this is it, but it is another idea. Also have you already tried plugging your brake booster vacuum hose to see if the leak is from the booster? There are only so many sensors on our cars and you already replaced like half of them. If it isn't a sensor then its vacuum, but it looks like you have ruled out most of vacuum. What is the car timed at(16 degrees, etc)?

98GS

In the video he had check engine light on 1st and 3rd clip. Have u hooked it up to a code reader to see what it says? I would have said iacv but u already replaced that.

Sent from my XT912 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Muckman

Not a M0derator
My initial guess is throttle plate and or idle adjustment screw. First thing to check, with your hand turn the throttle pulley to force the plate closed. Does this bring the idle down to normal? If it does then your throttle cable maybe too tight causing it to crack open slightly. Or the throttle plate is just leaking/dirty. Or the throttle pulley stop is preventing the plate from closing completely.

Second check the idle adjustment screw. Just close it entirely while we are troubleshooting. See if it effects the idle rpm. To set the idle screw unplug the IACV and adjust the screw until it idles at about 750rpm.

Keoman

Found the problem, THANKS!
I took off the butterfly valve a while back for cleaning and put it back on. Well I just got a wild idea last night after thinking about EVERYTHING I had done to the intake and thought, gee, perhaps I put it back in upside down? (not that it should matter?) Well, took out the valve and cleaned it really good. Reinstalled it the other way and made sure my stop plate screw wasn't restricting the valve at all. Voila, problem solved.

To answer some questions,
-No FITV on the 98 GSR
-No brake booster on this car! All pedal w/ dual wilwood master's. 3/4" front and 5/8" rear
-I have not checked the timing yet. I would still like to check it and make sure its within spec.
-I have a code 20 CEL. Its the ELD system. I have it hooked up but I may have routed power backwards though the module. Will switch it and see if it fixes the problem.
- Check engine light in the 3rd clip is because the IACV was unhooked.

Muckman you hit the nail on the head.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I've been tracking this down for weeks now. Time for some paint.