93 Acura Integra- Oil in Water

sassyheidi73

I just bought a 93 Acura Integra and I noticed oil in the radiator. Another problem is when the car idols too long it overheats, when I turn heater on the temp does not go down. Any suggestions on these problems?

sassyheidi73

There is no water in the oil. I am replacing the head gasket next week. Will it do harm if I continue to drive it?

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Harm is a relative term when in high risk scenarios. Losing fluids is not a good thing. You can monitor fluids and keep them up if you know the rate of loss but high rates of loss are too risky. Also low loss can get worse at any time. Overheating is highly detrimental to the health of the motor. Id say its the same as heat stroke for people. You might be ok but you can also die from it.

Given your description I believe you're losing a lot of fluids or best case scenario have lost a lot and just haven't filled it up. I don't recommend driving it. If you were to do so you need to make sure you have coolant filled to level and oil and keep an eye on it.

When the head is off you should have the head and block checked for warping from over heating otherwise a new head gasket won't do any good.

sassyheidi73

As for loosing fluids, the only leak I know of is an oil leak which we are replacing the oil pan gasket as we speak to see if that is the problem with loosing about 1 qt a week. I check all the fluids in my car daily just to make sure and until I get this problem fixed with the oil in the water. And when we replace the head gasket, I will have the heads checked.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Oil can leak several ways so you have to visually trace it and/or leak down test. In terms of coolant, there's only two ways its gonna overheat. Loss of fluids in one form or another or not circulating because of the water pump or bad thermostat. Maybe more I missed but that's just off the top of my head. It's gonna be most efficient to eliminate as much guess work as possible and do the steps to pinpoint the problem. Since u just bought the car doing maintenance is good either way except if you find out after that it needs to be rebuilt or swapped out. Haha

sassyheidi73

I was doing research online and it said doing a leak down test would pin point where any leaks were coming from. I know it needed an oil pan gasket so we are doing that now and putting a new oil pan on too. I should just go ahead and take it to get the leak down test done before replacing all the gaskets and more. Like you said, no need to spend all that money to find out the block is bad...lol