94 Automatic Transmission Problem?

kitkaton

Well for starters I figured out today that my car is leaking some tranny fluid. Other than that, when the temp reads cold, especially in the mornings, When I shift between Park, Reverse, D4, D3, etc... I feel/hear this loud BUMP. Goes away once the car is warmed up, but I figure that it's definitely not normal. Any takers?

94RS

No fucks given.
It's actually completely normal with the automatics on the cars, same goes for an odd shift pattern (revs higher, seems like it's slipping) when it's cold. Scared the shit out of me after I bought my car :lol:

kitkaton

It's actually completely normal with the automatics on the cars, same goes for an odd shift pattern (revs higher, seems like it's slipping) when it's cold. Scared the s*** out of me after I bought my car :lol:
Okay that's good to know. It scared me s***less the first time it happened and I cringe every time it happens now. But I guess I'll be okay having the peace of mind. I should just warm it up a bit more in the morning instead of rushing to work because I'm lazy to leave on time.

Side note, just recently failed my smog test for the ASM 2525 part due to emissions. anyone have experience with that CRC "Guaranteed to Pass" formula? I'm just trying to avoid dropping more money than I need to haha.

PioneerLS

Dont know about the emissions but yeah id usually let my old 94 warm up to avoid the cold slippage. Another thing my current 2000 does is have a slight lag before getting into gear when i first start up and go from r to d4.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Letting it sit to warm up doesn't do much of anything for the transmission. Your fine just driving it, it may slip when it's cold but as long as your drive easy it won't hurt anything.

Ganyon

Still a good idea to let it warm up. Also, royal purple trans fluid helps with the shifting.

kitkaton

So I did some digging under the car and came upon this little b*tch. I have a feeling my mechanic tried pulling a fast one on me.

99% confident I found the source of my leak.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
That may be it, you should clean all that oil off, put a nut on, and see if it still comes out.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
to help pass smog, i take my car in, almost empty, drop in some fuel octane booster, fill with premium, drive around for 30 minutes, 10 minutes before taking it into smog, drop it down a gear and drive on the freeway above 5k rpms to get the cat hotter. try to keep the revs up and the cat hot when taking it in.

i barely failed first time and thats what the guy told me to do and retest for free. did that and passed.

good luck!!

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener using Tapatalk.

kitkaton

to help pass smog, i take my car in, almost empty, drop in some fuel octane booster, fill with premium, drive around for 30 minutes, 10 minutes before taking it into smog, drop it down a gear and drive on the freeway above 5k rpms to get the cat hotter. try to keep the revs up and the cat hot when taking it in.

i barely failed first time and thats what the guy told me to do and retest for free. did that and passed.

good luck!!

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener using Tapatalk.
Great tip, I've read that around a lot and I'll definitely give that a go!

randomhobo

automagic user
Could try an O2 spacer? that's how we get the SRT-4's to pass here in NY.

Part # 730-2442 from NAPA. you may have to drill it out, I'm not sure, haven't tried it yet on an Integra.

edit: the SRT-4's I speak of have NO CAT CONVERTER and they still pass doing what Coy said in addition, but do NOT pull CEL under normal use.

SoundEfx

I have used the 'anti-fouler' trick with my other car.
Basically you create a space between the second 02 sensor and the pipe so that it would read differently than the first one.

You buy two anti-foulers, drill out the bottom of one of them. Screw them into each other, then screw the 02 sensor into the top and then screw that whole unit into the pipe.

king_white_tee

Mine does the exact same thing...i think it might be the transmission and when I put in D4 the light doesn't highlight it on the dash...but all the other gears show light