Driving in the snow

Brockey

My bud won't install the famous I only need snow tires on the front line, and always puts the best tires on the back. Anyone who don't understand this shouldn't be driving or need to gain a little more experience before they get others killed with there stupidity.

I live in Newfoundland, Canada and we get slush, black ice, freezing rain, hail and heavy snowfalls. I drive 240kms return trip for work everyday. I have yet to have an accident. You just drive to your comfort level, experience and the weather. I have 13 years behind the wheel and I still take it easy.

Do yourself a favor and check your tires to see if they are clearing the snow out of there threads. If they are not, sell them and buy better tires. Put the best on the rear and run sand bags for added traction. I have a passenger in the back of my car about 170 pounds so I got the weight pretty good on the road.

adamlee17

1997 Acura Integra RS-S
I am looking where to get sand bags but another person suggested kitty litter to me as well haha

Gbaby2089

Negative Ned
You're looking where to get sand bags? Seriously?

Wal-Mart, any other grocery store, etc.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Not sure if it's been mentioned but you'll want to run a lower tire pressure. Instead of normal 32-34 I would run around 22-24, you will have much more grip this way.

Just some FYI, snow tires are made to grip most once they start slipping and reach a higher rotational speed. So while you should always use four if possible, if only using two on a fwd vehicle, your going to want them on the front. They won't do much better than an all-season on the rear.

Op I wouldn't worry about going off the road, it's all part of learning, you never really find your limits until you break them.

Last edited:

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
Yup, brake way before and only steer in the turn. No gas or brakes and you should be fine.

hgocasca

level 77 troll
According to the Popular Mechanics quote its better to go headfirst into something than backwards, WTF?

Yeah I'll stick with what I've been taught by every one of my elders, none of whom who've binned it in the snow.

http://www.syracuse.com/weather/snow/stories/driving.html
I'm telling you right now, you are as wrong as can be. Good tires in the rear. It just cost me $1500 in repairs due to bald rears and good fronts. This happened 3 days before Christmas. Mind you, I was on my way to get new tires, only a block away from the tire store. The lanes were clear of snow but where the dotted lines are, was full of the usual slush/snow that hadn't been melted or driven over. I attempted to change lanes while doing ~30mph and as soon as the bald rears hit the slush/snow mix, it was over. The ass end slid everywhere and couldn't be recovered. I have since then tackled that exact scenario at the same spot at the same and higher speeds with no issues due to having new tires on the rear. So to the op, better tires on the rear for your safety and others around you. Also note, I'm no rookie to driving in adverse weather. I lived in Portland Oregon most of my life which has rain year round with a horrible drain system, so puddles of water are quite common for people to hydroplane on. And I currently live in Colorado which gets huge snowfall in the winter. Rookie move on my end for not rotating my tires for the weather at hand. Lesson learned, don't fall victim to the same situation.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
What do you "good tires in the rear" guys think your gonna do when your front end starts pushing. You have no steering then, you can't power out of anything because you have no traction, you can't stop, because as you all should know your front tires take the brunt of that, you have no chance of recovering from any sort of trouble.

You guys who are having your rear slide out are obviously going to fast for what you and your tires can handle, and it wouldn't matter where you had the good tires, you would have crashed anyway, possibly worse.

But hey, I'm sure Popular Mechanics knows best, they also think Kia makes the best cars!

XJEEP99

What do you "good tires in the rear" guys think your gonna do when your front end starts pushing. You have no steering then, you can't power out of anything because you have no traction, you can't stop, because as you all should know your front tires take the brunt of that, you have no chance of recovering from any sort of trouble.

You guys who are having your rear slide out are obviously going to fast for what you and your tires can handle, and it wouldn't matter where you had the good tires, you would have crashed anyway, possibly worse.

But hey, I'm sure Popular Mechanics knows best, they also think Kia makes the best cars!
It's best to have good tires front and rear... Good tires in back is plowing versus being on black ice goin 5 mph sliding sideways out of control with good front, for example..... Airbags and seatbelts are designed for frontal collisions, no collisions at odd angles or from behind. We aren't just talking snow, we are talking ice too.

hgocasca

level 77 troll

Ask any racer, any real racer, they'll tell you.....

On a serious note. I'm an excellent driver, I have many vouches from members here that my skills are above what my car is capable of. And that situation is a perfect example of why it is important to have good rears. I'd rather have a squirrelly front than a loose rear.

Lulz

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
For a fwd vehicle you can step on the gas and recover your ass end if you can get traction. I don't need to ask a "real racer" (whatever that means) where they want their good tires. We're not racing, we're driving on the street, totally different. People will do what they want but I do not agree with this one bit.

XJeep99: I'm not going to drive my car in a reckless way because I think I'll be safer hitting something from the front than the rear, that's retarded. And if you think your not going to spin because you have better tires in the rear you have some lessons to learn. I'm not going to say anyone is a bad driver, but I question the level of skill from people when I hear things like this.

hgocasca

level 77 troll
It's a f&f quote, it was for lulz. And I'm talking from recent personal experience. Not saying you don't have any(as I'm not up to date on your driving record lol), but IMHO and that of any respectable tire dealer, you should always have better tires on back. I personally prefer good tires on all four, but when funds are tight, at least cover your ass.

Last edited: