anyone ride a dirt/street bike?

jbrown97ls

Is everyone using squid as a rocket power reference? Cause that's all I can think about. I want a '70s CB really bad. I'm not too into the "crotch rocket" thing, although I can appreciate them.

jbrown97ls

Ha, just what I thought. In the pedal power world we reffer to them as squirrels. I like squid better.

96GSRteg

Tyler
Not everyone who rides a sportbike is a squid. That's the same thing as saying everyone who drives a Honda is a ricer. I always wear full gear and I have friends who wear track suits any time they ride.

An fz6 is a detuned r6 and is way more upright. Same thing with the sv. Neither of them have some magical powerband that will rip you off your bike either if you know what you're doing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

96GSRteg

Tyler
30 whp jump in 1k rpm? Seems safe.

Those curves really aren't accurate either. Again, you don't just get magically thrown off the bike from some crazy amount of power and start going out of control.

Jeffbel

Get a ninja 250r. It's the perfect beginner bike if you are looking for a sport bike. I ride around an r6 often and learned on it, if I could go back I would've started on a 250. They're not stupid fast or uncomfortable.

phatintegra

Banned
I used to ride back in the mid 90s. I had a ZX-7R till it got totaled by a cab driver that ran a red light. 13 years later I'm now on decompress and deep tissue laser therapy M-F for 3 hours a day for the next 4-5 weeks. I was doing physical and electrical therapy for the past 10 years.

Gbaby2089

Negative Ned
Those curves really aren't accurate either. Again, you don't just get magically thrown off the bike from some crazy amount of power and start going out of control.

Dyno graph inaccurate.

>_>

JTROGDEN

I started when I was 17 got my first bike an 07 GSXR600 and never had any problems. Never laid it down, never lost control. If you respect the power you'll be fine. I've since had a 2000 gsxr600 and now have an 05 zx-10 and still never had any trouble. Mainly because I ride with some damn sense and don't think I'm a Streetbike pro.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Yeah, that applies to many situations, but there are a huge number of squids who bite the dust because they buy too fast of stuff and beat on it and put themselves in bad situations.

I wouldn't start on an FZ6/CBR600RR/R6/GSX600R/Ninja 600RR/etc. because the power bands are so narrow. That's like a switch waiting to go from OH I CAN HANDLE THIS to OH I AM DEAD.

SV650 is still very fast but progressive power. I still will start out on 250.
I respect you for not wanting to start on a 600 for reasons given however i will state that you can start on a 600 but i will go back and also recommend that people do not do this. The safest and most recommended thing to do is start small and work your way up. The problem with any larger size bike for a beginner is your lack of control (im not talking black and white self control) and the unforgiving power of large and larger cc bikes. Its a 2 part formula which makes it a bad choice as a beginner bike for 99.99% of people. I started on a 600 but exercised as much control as i could with incredibly high respect for unfamiliar power. Take baby steps. Those that dont fall harder.. yes harder because those that do.. well the saying goes, "youve either been down or youre going down".

And..... i dont know anyone whos crashed that was thinking "this is an absolute ball of a time" as they were crashing. Its usually "oh f***, oh s***, oh f*** my bike!". Or theyre dead and i couldnt have the discussion with them.

I get the point trying to be made with a dyno graph but its not gonna be understood by most who dont even get it with cars and then to tranlsate this into bike power... :rolf:

I should add that dirt bike riders have an advantage over other people when it comes to learning to ride a street bike but it doesnt matter if youre the type whos an idiot. Just because you know how to do something doesnt mean i dont think youre an idiot. When im driving i think most people around me are idiots and theyre all driving, licensed.

You get thrown off a bike cus you do something stupid or someone else did. Dont blame the bike for your problems.

Last edited:

Gbaby2089

Negative Ned
I respect you for not wanting to start on a 600 for reasons given however i will state that you can start on a 600 but i will go back and also recommend that people do not do this. The safest and most recommended thing to do is start small and work your way up. The problem with any larger size bike for a beginner is your lack of control (im not talking black and white self control) and the unforgiving power of large and larger cc bikes. Its a 2 part formula which makes it a bad choice as a beginner bike for 99.99% of people. I started on a 600 but exercised as much control as i could with incredibly high respect for unfamiliar power. Take baby steps. Those that dont fall harder.. yes harder because those that do.. well the saying goes, "youve either been down or youre going down".

And..... i dont know anyone whos crashed that was thinking "this is an absolute ball of a time" as they were crashing. Its usually "oh f***, oh s***, oh f*** my bike!". Or theyre dead and i couldnt have the discussion with them.

I get the point trying to be made with a dyno graph but its not gonna be understood by most who dont even get it with cars and then to tranlsate this into bike power... :rolf:

I should add that dirt bike riders have an advantage over other people when it comes to learning to ride a street bike but it doesnt matter if youre the type whos an idiot. Just because you know how to do something doesnt mean i dont think youre an idiot. When im driving i think most people around me are idiots and theyre all driving, licensed.

You get thrown off a bike cus you do something stupid or someone else did. Dont blame the bike for your problems.

Riding a dirt bike could help some with the basic braking/shifting/balance stuff, but when I was first learning to ride it took some work to get past the bad habits I formed on my dirt bike.

The reason I want to smart small is mainly my desire to track it, I'd rather track a slow bike than a fast one. Forces me to work harder to hold speed through the corners.

OneFastGSR

Everybody I know tells me not to get a street bike cause i'll end up dead. I got my first one last week (cbr 600) Havn't ridden much yet because I don't have a motorcycle license yet and don't want to risk losing the bike. But the bit that I did ride (like first 2 days I rode alot) You don't have to use any of the power (I literally havn't been over 6k rpm but like once) You can ride as slow as a 250 if you want to. My friend got a ninja 250 and ended up selling it a week later bought a ninja 650r and now he wants a cbr 600. That's one reason I didn't want to buy a smaller bike like 250 cause i'll just want a 600 or so few weeks later.

Gbaby2089

Negative Ned
If you think you can ride beyond a 250's limits without having taken it on track multiple times and owned for 1 year +, you're lying to yourself and are truly a squid.