Replacement radiators

mirrorimg

While hooking up all the odds and ends for my motor re-install, I filled up my system with coolant. I went to school and came back to do some more work hooking up brackets, only to find coolant dripping down and onto the floor. Through a little searching I noticed its coming from the top of the radiator, between the metal and plastic. Looks like I need to replace it :roll:

I have three options, and need to know what you guys think I should do.

OEM replacement: I run the risk of it breaking down the road because it is plastic. It also does not look cool in the engine bay

Full size aluminum: Better cooling? Looks dope. Do not have to worry about the plastic and seals breaking down to the corrosive fluid running through it, more efficient cooling?

Civic half style aluminum: Looks sweet, opens up the engine compartment some, still handles the cooling of a stock motor. The issue I have with this half size radiator, is would my radiator hoses (which I JUST bought from the dealer) fit the half styles? Or would I need to get b16 radiator hoses?

Looking for opinions, and manufacturers. The only ones I know about are Fluidyne and Mishimoto

blaketeg

I <3 Boost
if i were you, id go with a aluminum radiator because they look sweet and make your engine bay look alot better and provide you with better cooling,i wish i could afford one

blitz,mishimoto,koyo,and fluidyne are the only brands i would use

mirrorimg

Cooling properties in full size vs half?

Im leaning to a full size, because I wont have to worry about mounting or other fans. I dont want to ziptie the radiator in, lol. Time to search craigslist and vadriven!

Nighthawk

Goes Vroom in the Night
CIVIC RADIATOR:
I definitely wouldn't recommend getting a stock Civic radiator. Sure, they're cheap to come by but they are half-width and single-core. Aftermarket OEM replacement Civic radators (half width) are dual-core. If you go this route, get an aftermarket Civic radiator. Also, make sure you get a B-series (99-00 Si) radiator as B-series hoses are indeed larger than D-series hoses.

FULL SIZE ALUMINUM:
Since you don't want to mess with fans, I'd recommend a Koyo. They're fan mounts are set to OE specs so you can use OEM fans. For example, Mishimoto radiators do not accommodate OEM fans. You have to buy the Mishimoto 12" fan.

Mishimoto

Product Manufacturer
Cooling properties in full size vs half?

Im leaning to a full size, because I wont have to worry about mounting or other fans. I dont want to ziptie the radiator in, lol. Time to search craigslist and vadriven!
Half size will cool fine for your car if you want to do a custom mount. It cools this EVO without any problems :D

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Personally, I'd prefer to have greater cooling capacity. I'm not sure why you would want to reduce it. I'm sure that EVO does stay cool, it probably is only running for a minute at a time too. No point in reducing cooling capabilities on anything but a drag or show car