check engine light

macdman

check engine keeps coming on once the car gets warm. where do i check the light and see whats worng with my interga

mirrorimg

A CEL is short for C.heck E.ngine L.ight.

You need to jump the plug, I.E. put a piece a wire, or even a paperclip, between the two contacts to make a circuit. Your light will then flash, and the number of flashes=your code. You then can determine why it is illuminated.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
if you leave the wire/paper clip when you're not throwing a code, does the light stay on? or blink? or short out something??

mirrorimg

If you dont have any codes, it wont spit anything out. I believe it only outputs the flashes when the key is in the ON position. Im not sure if it continues when the car is turned over. I assume there would not be any damage to the electrical system, though I dont know.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
If you dont have any codes, it wont spit anything out. I believe it only outputs the flashes when the key is in the ON position. Im not sure if it continues when the car is turned over. I assume there would not be any damage to the electrical system, though I dont know.
cuz if there's no drawbacks on leaving it in, i say leave one in all the time so when you do throw a CEL, it'll tell you automatically...

macdman

do i have to take off the plate covering the ecm or is the plug right there. because i dont see it and i dk know were to look.

SGGilmo

not sure on the teggy as mine is obd0 so i just look at the led on the ecu but on my old eh9 which was obd1 it was tucked up under the dash to the right of the glove box. there were two blue plugs with green covers over the wires. a 3-pin and a 2-pin. the 2-pin is the one you want to jump.

macdman

ok so i am a little slow. haha sorry for posting up 2 forums. but so i jumped the plug and the check engine light blinks, but heres how it reads and i have know idea what it means. it will turn off and the turn on, be a long one and theann it will blink twice short. so is that a code 12 or is that 2?