Coilovers that go lowest?

prodigee

Well its time to get some new coils, the dropzones were cool for a while, but they don't go low enough and the spring rates blow major. I have heard that Function and Form or Skunk2 Pro-C's go real low, but I wanted to ask here as well.

Yes I want higher spring rates, for the ride height I want high spring rates are really important, along with a good stiff dampening on the strut.

Thanks,

Kielan

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
How low do you want to go? you might get a better answer. I'm sure there are some coils out there that would make your car rest on the ground, but I'm sure you don't want to go that low.

Exactly how many inches do you want your car to be lowered, or off the ground? Whatever is easier to answer as you may not know the OEM ride height.

prodigee

Well right now I have the 2 adjusters out in the rear of these dropzones and I can rest my phone up against the side of the skirt, but I have like 3" of clearance I'd like to go another inch lower at least. You say you know of coils that could get me to lay frame? I would love to see those, assuming they are of good quality, I'm never buying crappy shit again.

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
I'm sure there are some coils out there that would make your car rest on the ground, but I'm sure you don't want to go that low.
You say you know of coils that could get me to lay frame? I would love to see those, assuming they are of good quality, I'm never buying crappy shit again.

I never said such a thing.

So you're looking to completely tuck your car? you don't like driving it or something? I nice 2" drop is both sexy and allows you to still be able to drive around daily.

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
just watch out for those pebbles, wouldn't want to crack your oil pan...

prodigee

So you're looking to completely tuck your car? you don't like driving it or something? I nice 2" drop is both sexy and allows you to still be able to drive around daily.
2" drop is baby stuff, I already eliminated wheel gap, and its tucking a little with a 50 series tire, next set of tires on the new wheels will be a 40 series with a healthy stretch. And will still be daily-able.
just watch out for those pebbles, wouldn't want to crack your oil pan...
This is my current ride height, not low enough,

And the pan sits high enough up there that it shouldn't be much of a worry worst comes to worst I have to replace my pan once, and get a skid plate made.

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
This is the official foreshadowing for "I told you so". If you drive the car on Saturdays only, then it would be fine. If it's a daily driver, then you are going to raise it up shortly after you lower it more and start having to buy new bumpers, fenders, oil pans, headers, exhausts, fuel lines, brake lines, ball joints, and a bunch of other random things that will go to shit due to bottoming out all the time.

Maybe look into a lip kit, see if that satisfy your needs.

your car though

prodigee

LOL at "official forshadowing of I told you so," so jokes aside sure this is a BMW but my good friend owns it daily's at that height, yes its static,

After dailying at my current height I know I can go lower with little issues, sure I may go through CV boots a little fast, but doing as with any car modification if you do it right you won't destroy a ton of stuff, new control arms, new bushings, sure whats under the car headers, exhaust, maybe the pan will get hit, we all know that, but the only part of the exhaust I scrape is the header (sometimes, and typically only on speed bumps) and the cat, which is the same situation. A I am getting a type R lip, but thats not going to change my desire to go lower.

So to put this politely as possible, rather then telling me all reasons I shouldn't go lower, can someone suggest some coils that will allow me to go lower?

j13

Keep It Clean
Your car seems lower the rear..can you go lower in front? Will the coilover sleeves allow you to?

turbteg-gsr

yea i would look into a body kit that will give the overall appereance that it is low i had a accord 2 inch off the ground and i tell ya i raised that shit 3/4 of an inch and its perfect now.... i was bottoming out all the time and my upper ball joints went out.... i do have to change my oil pan and i bent my cross brace that goes across so my engine wont fall... ya worst mistake i did but 2 nd 3/4 inches off the ground is perfect

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
it's the way that a lot of cars look. Integra's look weird when they are too low as they don't look "even". The wheel wells are cut differently but if you measure the lip near the front wheel and rear wheel, it would probably have the same ground clearance.

As far as daily driving a lowered car, I guess it depends where you live. I can barely make it off my street with how low my car is and prodigee's car is lower then mine. Once I move and get a new exhaust, maybe I'll go lower.

Make sure you have a camber kit in the front and rear that can handle it.

Last edited:

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg

:thumbs up 100% agreed man. Plus slamming causes all sorts of weird handling issues that nobody wants to deal with - if they enjoy driving the twisties that is.