my review of the F1 racing stage 1 xlutch thus far

Prozon

Kris
@da9_vito,
I do recall sitting in traffic recently really really really hating it. It was really just being in a manual period lol. I was texting JDMJim at the same time talking about it lol.

Stage 3 in my daily because i'm planning on running power down the road. No sense waiting til then to swap when I was going to have the transmission out. ;)

da9_vito

Hazardous Grounds
@da9_vito,
I do recall sitting in traffic recently really really really hating it. It was really just being in a manual period lol. I was texting JDMJim at the same time talking about it lol.

Stage 3 in my daily because i'm planning on running power down the road. No sense waiting til then to swap when I was going to have the transmission out. ;)
very true. and im suprised its lasted that long. F1 must have their stuff on top level.

mthrfckrz

i just got my F1 Stage 2 Clutch put in.

now they are working on my transmission.. bought new carbon synchros.

thanks to synchrotech - they hooked me up with a deal i could not resist!

Prozon

Kris
My thought was the exact opposite of yours. Mine went somewhere along the lines of...

"My original synchros lasted 275k and only one started to wear, why in the fuck would I pay over $300 for these damn "carbon fiber synchros!??!"

:p

ModelEfficiency

I'm thinking about buying the F1 Racing Stage 1 Clutch Kit with their 12 lb Chromoly Flywheel. Bumping this thread in case any of the guys who are running an F1 clutch have any more comments.

OP, did you use the throwout and pilot bearing that were provided with the kit?

Dtackett

wow i forgot about this thread lol

yes i used the pilot and throwout that came with the kit.

i am completely satisfied with this clutch, i have drove probably 50k miles sense i put it, including a long ass road trip through different driving conditions, starting in Arkansas, then Indiana, then Ohio, then Tennessee, then Georgia then Florida, and i love this clutch, i had no problems, it handles its self great when its 5 below 0 just as well as it does when its 95+. hasnt slipped once sense i put it in and have ran a few races with it. considering the price of this clutch i say it is one of the best on the market and would definitely put in another f1 when this one goes out.

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
I have f1 racing clutch and flywheel. Stage 3- 6puck clutch. Have 10k miles since MAY 2010! Daily driven, deliver pizzas!

Best 260$ spent for the combo package.

F1 racing is not an eBay brand either. My clutch has seen quite a bit of abuse, and if my clutch exploded tomorrow, I would NOT hesitate to buy another one.

Alot of the life of a clutch has to do with the break in period.
That's up for debate at this point. Idk which way I lean towards, but with Aussie working for Exedy, it's kinda hard to ignore what he says, lol

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
I say go with XTD, they're better in quality, F1 was good back like 2 years ago but they changed companies that manufacture there pressure plates and they don't feel like they do the job, i bought a stage 4 extreme from them 3 years ago and lasted and work great, but recently i bought another for my gar and it was horrible i felt like i was driven a six puck with a stock pressure plate. I called and got the run around like if i was a NOOB and don't know the difference from stock and stage 4, then they told the changed manufacturers, FAIL, XTD has not let me down yet been like 2k so far

Last edited:

ModelEfficiency

Thanks Dtackett, I would rep you if I could.

I say go with XTR, they're better in quality, F1 was good back like 2 years ago but they changed companies that manufacture there pressure plates and they don't feel like they do the job, i bought a stage 4 extreme from them 3 years ago and lasted and work great, but recently i bought another for my gar and it was horrible i felt like i was driven a six puck with a stock pressure plate. I called and got the run around like if i was a NOOB and don't know the difference from stock and stage 4, then they told the changed manufacturers, FAIL, XTR has not let me down yet been like 2k so far

The picture shows an XTD clutch, not an XTR, or are they the same?...

ModelEfficiency

I just ordered a Stage 1 Kit with the 12 lb flywheel from Gripforce's eBay store for about $230 shipped. I also went ahead and got a Exedy clutch cable from them over the phone and the guy I talked to, Nick, was very professional. I asked if he had any experience with F1 clutches himself, and he said that he had one a while back and it lasted him around 3 years. He stressed the importance of proper installation and break-in. I hope all goes well, I'll be sure to post my own review. I'm basically replacing my whole clutch release system too. I have a clutch release fork and a release fork spring on the way from acuraoemparts.com.

Prozon

Kris
I've got the Stage 3 clutch in my car. Only about 5k on it now but it's working good. And regardless what the guy that sells clutches say, i'm going to run the 700 mile break in like the clutch manufacturer says. If you don't get a new flywheel, get it resurfaced before installing the clutch. Make sure there is no oil or anything on the clutch when you install it.

That's up for debate at this point. Idk which way I lean towards, but with Aussie working for Exedy, it's kinda hard to ignore what he says, lol
He said after it seats, or something along those lines, it's good to go. But driving gentle on it wouldn't hurt. I personally wouldn't risk it. It's a lot of work to pull the transmission for something you could have prevented. ;)

Dtackett

very true prozon, i did about a 1k mile break in where i drove easy, but once i saw 1k on it i drove it like i stole it and its been great to me. this clutch has been a very smart purchase so far, 93 bucks for the clutch and paid a buddies shop to let me use the lift and shit, about 150 total between the clutch, shop fees, and cleaning solutions. i didnt replace my pressure plate, wish i had but didnt have the money for it, but we resurfaced it, cleaned everything up because when i pulled the stock clutch off it looked like someone had put it through a grinder lol when it blew, it blew. it was only about 7 hours worth of actual work from start to finish and im told it should have taken about 4-5 but ive never done anything like that before so i think i did it decently quick. ive recently changed the clutch cable, and its even better. if you change your clutch, plate and cable all at the same time, i think your experience will be better then mine. but with any part thats as important and a pain in the ass to change as a clutch, ALWAYS take your time on the break in period, never hurts to go a little further.

ModelEfficiency

very true prozon, i did about a 1k mile break in where i drove easy, but once i saw 1k on it i drove it like i stole it and its been great to me. this clutch has been a very smart purchase so far, 93 bucks for the clutch and paid a buddies shop to let me use the lift and s***, about 150 total between the clutch, shop fees, and cleaning solutions. i didnt replace my pressure plate, wish i had but didnt have the money for it, but we resurfaced it, cleaned everything up because when i pulled the stock clutch off it looked like someone had put it through a grinder lol when it blew, it blew. it was only about 7 hours worth of actual work from start to finish and im told it should have taken about 4-5 but ive never done anything like that before so i think i did it decently quick. ive recently changed the clutch cable, and its even better. if you change your clutch, plate and cable all at the same time, i think your experience will be better then mine. but with any part thats as important and a pain in the ass to change as a clutch, ALWAYS take your time on the break in period, never hurts to go a little further.
Did you mean your flywheel?

Yeah, I just want to replace as much as I can while the transmission is open, so that I won't have to worry about it again. I plan to have at least a 500 mile break-in period, and even after that, I will probably still take it easy for another few hundred miles.

It sucks living in Georgia, standard shipping from California takes 6 days. :( Oh well, patience is key. I just can't wait to get this setup on the DA.

Prozon

Kris
My F1 Racing stage 3 clutch is slipping. Running 10psi on my turbo and it can't hold up.
It doesn't slip under light throttle, but when running full boost it just can't handle it. It's supposed to be rated to like 300+hp and I know i'm not making that much.

5500 miles on the clutch. Replacing it with a stage 3 competition clutch in a few weeks.