1998 GSR questions

KingSpade18

Just recently bought a 98 gsr, SSBP, clean ride except the infamous honda rust on the quarters. Anyway the car has a pile of miles (224,400) no check engine light, ABS is on but brakes feel fine. This is my first acura, and my intention was to find exactly what i found, a higher mile gsr for a low price, with plans of doing the obvious. since it will still be a daily driver, the mods will be done over time. i am just wondering what are the TYPICAL FAILURES, AND AREAS I SHOULD NOT OVERLOOK THAT ARE A NECESSITY TO REPLACE OR ADJUST. The mods that i put on since i got the car are an AEM sri, and a skunk2 megapower cat back. The clutch is going to be replaced sometime in the next 2 weeks with a Gripforce F1 6 puck that the previous owner gave with the car. Also the cam seal (i think) is leaking and will be replaced when clutch is done as well as oil pan gasket. Anything you guys could shoot me as far as what else may need attention please let me know, any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

lee__xiong

if your not looking to spend that much on it then i'd also replace the head gasket, all the seals! tranny flush! and a full tune up and you should be fine!

224,400 i'd rebuilt the motor, simply cause the car has a lot of miles! dont get me wrong the car will last pretty long with its current miles but just to have lower miles! new internals! so that if something went wrong with it you'd know what you did!

mirrorimg

If he isnt burning oil or has any coolant issues theres no reason to change the headgasket. Plus, when you change the headgasket, you need to replace the headstuds unless you are using ARP studs).

I would see when the timing belt was serviced, and possibly change the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner.

blaketeg

I <3 Boost
only thing i would do is tune up, change all fluids, and timing belt and water pump change

absolutely no reason to change the head gasket, seals, and engine rebuild if the motor is healthy. Thats just a huge waste of money. i've seen many hondas with 200k on them with a very healthy motor still

DAs_an_DCs

Head gaskets are solid for most 90s an up hondas. It was before then when they had issues and needed to be replaced. If you not burning oil = regular maitenence. My gsr burns more than a quart every fill up lol. But I plan on a rebuild sometime, pistons rings and valve seals are a must if u do any type of rebuild for a high millage vehicle

KingSpade18

well its going to the shop tomorrow to get the clutch done and the leaking seals & valve cover gasket. possibly valve adjustment if need be and im gonna have him scope out what he can see. i do have a complete top end gasket kit i was thinking about havin him do the head gasket while he had it tore into, have to see if the pocketbook can take it this week. if not ill have it done in a couple weeks. also was wondering if a 6 puck is going to be too grabby or harm the car any..........and what is the RPM for VTEC? it seems like it will kick in anywhere from 4500-4900 is that normal?

DAs_an_DCs

what were tryn to say bro is save your money!!! all u need is a cam seal there like 20 bucks and u can do it yourself. i was one of the first things i ever did to my integra, its easy. hondahookup for free genuine honda service manuals.

Save your money for real shit

rene gonzalez

be better off doing the worn out suspension and brakes first then a complete engine rebuild learn to work on it you are wasting money sending it to shops for such an old car.