2/1992 Acura Integra GS-R ?

rnoswal

I just bought a 2 of 1992 Acura integra GSR. Not a total basket case, but fuel tank was out and seems that some electrical stuff needs sorting out. My biggest question though and maybe a disappointment is that I thought the engine was a Vtec, but this being my first Acura, I find that it isn't. It says VETC on the front fender panels, both sides, but guess that doesn't mean anything or some previous owner replaced the stock fenders. The engine number makes it a B18 A1. The head number is AD1 00901 81.

I don't know if those numbers mean anything, but I thought all 92's came with the B17, but at least a vtec engine. I can't tell if the engine had been swapped at some time before I owned it, the previous owner says no. But the owner before him might shed some light. Could it be just a plain, non VTEC engine stock in my car. The valve cover does not have the VTEC logo on it and it is just a stock valve train.4 valves percylinder and no center lobe on the cams betweent the intake and exhaust.

Got any GSR historians out there? The VIN under the windshield and on the firewall match, but not sure how to tell if the engine is the correct one for this car. Still tring to get it started and see how good or bad it runs. There seems to be 3 or 4 electrical connectors without a place to plug into on the left side of the distributor. I got a Haynes manual today to get a better picture and help in trouble shooting.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Russ

mirrorimg

Theres a stamp on the block near the transmission. It would say "B17."

But you can also tell by the valve cover.

VTEC valve cover

Non-VTEC valve covers

The stamp will be on a flat portion next to the Clutch housing

rnoswal

Sigh...I have the center valve cover. I know the valve train is not VTEC because of it just having the lobes for just the 4 valves per cylinder and nothing between the lobes. That stamping on mine is B18 A1. STill wondering if the engine was swapped or could a 1992 Acura Integra GSR that says VTEC on the molding on both front fenders have come with a plain B18 engine?

Thanks

Russ

rnoswal

I am betting the engine....all the vin numbers match the GSR identity. What a depressing feeling.....

Russ

mirrorimg

Yep, the VIN can say GSR, as well as the emblems, but the previous owner swapped the motor.

Either the swap was because the engine failed, and non-vtec swaps are easier to come by, and significantly cheaper... Or he traded motors with a friend before selling that vehicle.

If you want, you may be able to get your money back from the sale by presenting the seller the information that he was selling the vehicle under false pretenses, and you thought you were getting a VTEC (B17) motor. Because the seller was trying to sell the vehicle as a GSR, and you unknowingly bought it, you may have a case.

emd513

yep i agree. you do have a case on that. if the po did not tell you that the motor had been swapped or denied it being swapped then it is against the law and you can sue for the money and time spent on the car trying to figure it out and work you have done to the vehicle. i think it falls in line with the lemon law not sure if i am right on the calling but do have a case bro. good luck

Yep, the VIN can say GSR, as well as the emblems, but the previous owner swapped the motor.

Either the swap was because the engine failed, and non-vtec swaps are easier to come by, and significantly cheaper... Or he traded motors with a friend before selling that vehicle.

If you want, you may be able to get your money back from the sale by presenting the seller the information that he was selling the vehicle under false pretenses, and you thought you were getting a VTEC (B17) motor. Because the seller was trying to sell the vehicle as a GSR, and you unknowingly bought it, you may have a case.
yep i agree. you do have a case on that. if the po did not tell you that the motor had been swapped or denied it being swapped then it is against the law and you can sue for the money and time spent on the car trying to figure it out and work you have done to the vehicle. i think it falls in line with the lemon law not sure if i am right on the calling but do have a case bro. good luck
It will depend on the state, but the lemon law does not cover a buyer not getting the motor he thought he was getting. Cars sold as used by an individual, are sold as is and with the understanding of the "buyer beware" concept. It doesn't cover you not doing your research and knowing what you're looking at.
You might be able to get him for falsely representing it, but that is going to involve lawyers and money. The only other thing I can think of off hand that might help you is that some states have a clause that if the PO sold you the car in what may be considered a pressured sale(i.e tells you that there is someone coming to buy the car in an hour if you don't buy it now) there can be concessions made to get you your money back.
Sorry to hear you learned such a hard and expensive lesson.
I do know of a local guy with a B17 and YS1 for sale, but they need a little work. I'll get you the info if you want.

Rich-PMS

Lawyer fees/court cost wouldn't be worth the hassle over a <2500$ car

post up some pictures
link to the forsale ad

it'd be very easy for th previous owner to also play it off like he had no idea and bought it from the last owner as is. The cars 18 years old, how many owners has ot had??

DagoAcura92

How's the car overall? If u can't get ur money back, I say u should restore it back to GS-R status. Take the offer on the b17 n tranny. I know it sucks.