2004 RSX - headlight woes...

kleenkreativ

So, who else here has an RSX with headlights that drive them absolutely crazy, like me?
I have used a lens restorer kit like 3 or 4 times now and just can't seem to get them to sparkle like they should.
They still look slightly yellow and somewhat foggy and it's killing me!

Ideas, aside from buying new headlights?
I did find some aftermarket ones online that I really liked that look a bit different than stock, but I don't feel like dropping 3 Benjamins on some damn headlights.

I haven't. Never heard of that. Would that really work any better than the buffing compound specifically made for headlights, though?
i dont know if it's safe or not but it seems to work for me here's how mine turned out after some crest toothpaste and turtle wax's polishing compound

mirrorimg

Paste (not gel) toothpaste has some pumice in it that works to scratch away imperfections. Using a plastic buffing compound will yield similar results.

Which kit are you using? Unlike buffing on paint, you need to keep the compound around the entire time you are cleaning the light. The compound needs to do the work, not the pad. You may burn the lens if you let all of the compound breakdown and dont have enough left to keep the surface lubricated.

I suggest doing it a few times in one session. Apply, buff, wipe off. Do it 2 or 3 times (in a row) to see if you have different results. The only other thing I could imagine is that there is discoloration on the inside of the housing, or you need to take some 1500/2000g sandpaper to it and THEN the polishing kit.

kleenkreativ

Paste (not gel) toothpaste has some pumice in it that works to scratch away imperfections. Using a plastic buffing compound will yield similar results.

Which kit are you using? Unlike buffing on paint, you need to keep the compound around the entire time you are cleaning the light. The compound needs to do the work, not the pad. You may burn the lens if you let all of the compound breakdown and dont have enough left to keep the surface lubricated.

I suggest doing it a few times in one session. Apply, buff, wipe off. Do it 2 or 3 times (in a row) to see if you have different results. The only other thing I could imagine is that there is discoloration on the inside of the housing, or you need to take some 1500/2000g sandpaper to it and THEN the polishing kit.
Ahh, okay, cool. It is possible, I suppose, that the lenses are a bit burned now.

I used a Turtle Wax kit from AutoZone...priced somewhere between $8-11.
The compound did the job on my '95 Integra's headlights, but doesn't seem to be doing much to the '04.
That said, I believe the dealership I bought the car from had put some kind of wax on them and the sanding pads that came with my kit did take that off, finally. They just still seem foggy to me.
I honestly don't think I'll be able to rest easy about them until they are crystal clear, so I may have to end up buying new ones.

j13

Keep It Clean
If you cannot get the hazyness out. And push come to shove, than try this.

Get a spray bottle filled with water and one drop of dish-washing soap. Use 1000 grit sand paper while spraying it, keeping it wet and lubed. After you cover the whole surface, switch to 1500 grit sand paper and repeat, than 2000 grit and repeat. After this use a polishing compound to buff them out. You'll be happy with the results. After that put layer after layer of wax to help protect them.

Use Turtle Wax Polishing Compound to touch them up, followed by wax.

kleenkreativ

If you cannot get the hazyness out. And push come to shove, than try this.

Get a spray bottle filled with water and one drop of dish-washing soap. Use 1000 grit sand paper while spraying it, keeping it wet and lubed. After you cover the whole surface, switch to 1500 grit sand paper and repeat, than 2000 grit and repeat. After this use a polishing compound to buff them out. You'll be happy with the results. After that put layer after layer of wax to help protect them.

Use Turtle Wax Polishing Compound to touch them up, followed by wax.
Cool, thanks. I'll give that a shot. :)
Every time I walk past the front end, I think "ugh, those are bugging the shit out of me!"

maanse01

If you want a permanent fix you can take it to an autobody shop and have them wet sand and clear each headlight. They will look brand new and won't chip as long as it's done correctly, but expect to pay at least $100.