88 integra, hooked up battery backwards HELP PLEASE!

ajc602

Hi all. new here, 1st post of many im sure. i have a 88 hatchback that i just got. Its bone stock, overall decent shape. Wanting to build into solid daily driver. i spent the weekend fixing all kinds of stuff and now I am having a major, self inflicted problem and need help. i hooked up the battery backwards. prev owner used a red cable for the ground, i was like a kid waiting for santa, got in a hurry.........and.....

it popped the main 60amp fusible link, which i have replaced. cranks like a champ now, but does not seem to be getting fuel or fire. there is no elect. current @ the fuel pump w/ the switch turned "on". also tried checking for fire by pulling the plug wires from the distributor (1 @ a time), no arc on any. holding @ about 1/8in gap didnt even make my hand tingle. i have checked all other fuses, none blown. Im thinking theres a relay somewhere i havent seen? Im at a standstill now, and I really REALLY need this car to run. Open to all suggestions and ideas.

DOLCECULLO

Detailer
Look around for relays, that's probably what you blew. Which is odd since the 60 amp fuse is supposed to save the rest of the electrical system when it blows...hmm weird

89teggie

89teggie
if it is not getting fuel, and the fuel pump is not working, you blew the main EFI relay, which controls the injectors, fuel pump, etc. it is located under the dash on the drivers side behind the fuse box. there will be a row of fuses. it is the largest one, and it is on the fire wall. put your finger on the relay, then turn the ignition switch to the "on" position. the relay should click two times really fast. if it continuously clicks or does not click at all, you need the relay. its about 50 bucks at oreilly's. also might wanna check your injector resistor box. it is located under the hood on the firewall on the drivers side. unplug it and check resistance between terminals. it should be around 5 ohms of resistance, give or take a couple. as far as getting spark, idk, keep searching relays. and if that doesnt make it run, you might have fried your ECU. i just fried mine from my alternator grounding out and shorting out my entire system. the ECU is located underneath the front passenger seat. you have to remove the seat to access the ECU. good luck bro.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
isnt there more than 1 fuse link?

ajc602

Ok. i looked under the dash, behind the fusebox. there is a row of 4 relays mounted on a bracket on the firewall or backside of fender. they just slide up into a rubber sleeve that holds them in place. the last one in line is the biggest, and it is actually mounted to the firewall or inner fender.

I also noticed a larger silver flat looking box further in, behind and to the side of the relays, mounted on the backside of the fender. I am hoping that is not the object in question. its deeeep in there.

I put my finger on the largest of the relays, I felt/heard ONE "click", did this several times, but couldnt figure out exactly where it was coming from. Im guessing that means that either im looking @ the wrong thing, or it is indeed bad. Does anyone have a pic or drawing of what I am looking for? On that line, ill take any drawings/blowups/prints I can get for this car. Im an assembler, not a mechanic, lol.

As for the fuse links, I have checked all I could find, and have not found any more blown, links and fuses. Well, there is a 15 amp link at the bottom of the panel, was blown when i got it, car running fine. fuse door legend says its the rear defroster. I'm in phoenix, so not much need for that :)

Last edited:

89teggie

89teggie
the main EFI relay is pretty deep in there. if its not constantly clicking, its probably ok, but still wouldnt be a bad idea to get a new one. as far as fuel injection, there is only the 15 amp fuse under the hood, and the main relay, then the injector resistor box, and the ECU. when you turn the key on, can you hear the fuel pump hum? if you can't, i believe there is a fuel pump relay, but i'll have to look it up so see where its at.

ajc602

I went to the junkyard and scored! got the whole bracket, all relays on it, for 13 bucks!

Hooked up the main relay (after pulling out the one right next to it I could see its clearly marked "main relay") and now I have fuel coming out of the banjo cap on the top of the fuel filter, and voltage @ the pump. *whew*

I havent checked the Injector Resistor box yet. Is that the sorta twinkie shaped metal box that has one "set" of wires going to a square plug mounted halfway down on the DS strut tower? What is its function anyway?

As far as fire, I still got nothin. No arc from wire to distrubutor. Not smart, I know, (no one has ever accused me of that) but when i saw no arc I touched the wire cap and told my friend to hit the switch. I got the smallest lil tingle, but I'm pretty sure it was just nerves. Im glad I got the rest of those relays! Guess I'll be trying those out next. Hope its not the ecu.

89teggie

89teggie
damn you got lucky gettin those relays, haha. i've only been able to find a couple g1 integra's around here and they've all been stripped already. haha.

the resistor box is a bare metal colored box, thats on the firewall on the driver's side under the hood. it has a small set of wires coming out of the bottom, and it goes into a plug with 5 prongs inside of it. honestly, i dont know what it does. to check the resistor box, remove it, and unplug it. get a multimeter and set it to resistance(ohms). there should be 5 ohms resistance between the prongs, give or take a couple ohms.

i've replaced my relays, fuses, checked my resistor box and everything, and fuel is getting to the rail, but the fuel injectors just aint spraying, so all thats left that i can think of is my ECU. possibly my camshaft positioning sensor not telling the ECU when to spray, but its probably the ECU.

ajc602

all the relays replaced. still no fire.

i have fuel @ the press. relief on the filter, but the return line from the fuel rail is dry.

hunting an ecu. got really super duper lucky @ the yards yesterday w/ those relays. was really hoping not ecu, as its already been stripped from all the g1's ive found. any ideas where else I could look? Im in phoenix. I would ebay one, but I really dont want to wait for shipping or take a chance on gettin ripped off.

ajc602

ITS ALIVE!!!! replaced the ecu and found a broken ground, fired right up! ecu was hard to find, but stumbled across a website for a local shop here. i would post it here, but not sure if that'll get me flagged for advertising. if anyone wants it, lemme know.