91 rs auto transmission issues

jasonbrntn

ok, i was in a bind and had to buy a 91 integra rs off of a guy and bought some one elses major issue. i've gotten over that part. here is my problem, while driving, the car would shut off for no apparent reason and i would coast off the road and see that my S4 light would be flashing, i would turn the key off and on a few times trying to start the car with no success. each time, the S4 light would be flashing. i quickly figured out that the car will never start with that flashing. so, after turning the key off and on until the light would not flash and you can here the fuel pump( im assuming) kick in, it would start and drive fine for a couple weeks. this problem became rapidly worse and would happen more often until the point where i could drive maybe 40 to 50 feet and thats it. I took the car to a local shop and we threw a bunch of parts at it, (new igntion harness, PCM, shift harness, and tried a used distributer out of a running motor), no luck and i had to bring it home on a car trailer. now it sits. I'm thinking this is solely a transnission problem and i am considering a swap out for a manual. i'm not too attached to the car though and may just put a used auto back in. Am I on the right track?or is there more to it? i dont want to spend anymore than needed to just get it running. i bought another car, i just dont want to lose out too much on this one by scrapping it. thank you ahead of time for any help with this.

update: i was in the middle of the transmission removal process when i found 1 missing bolt (tranny to block) and all of the bolts accessible from the top were a hair tighter than finger tight except the bolt from block to tranny (it maybe had 20lbs of torque). Should I continue removal or should I tighten things back to spec and put everything back together for a test ride? Could loose bolts have been my problem from sqaure 1? I forget about the KISS rule.

Last edited:

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Does it throw a code of some kind, I know it's obd1 but does the engine light come on at all or just that s4 blink? Also is that S4 on the shift console or does it blink in the cluster? I've never seen an auto gen 2 so help me out.

Anyway, I checked out some stuff at work and it seem like it would be your shift solenoid. It's on top of the trans facing the battery. Just google integra shift solenoid and you'll figure it out. There's two though so be careful, the one is your torque convertor lock up solenoid.

I would replace this and it should fix your problem.

Last edited:

jasonbrntn

I'm having a hard time remembering if it throws a code or not via CEL and I never did check the PCM to see what codes it may have for me. I learned of that just recently. The car has been sitting on jack stands with the CV shafts removed since Mid July until today. I also forgot to mention that the car wasnt dying towards the end as much as it was revving up as if the tranny was slipping. Once it cooled down and I was able to start it, it would shif into D and drive fine for 30 to 60 feet and then rev up again. Same with reverse. Either way, I have the tranny almost sitting on the bench. I will look into the part mentioned, I really appreciate your help.

MaseratiMc

Im not a Master tech but i think it might be an axle problem i've seen it on A nissan Maxima where the axle would fall off at 60 and rev up at first i looked under the car and saw tranny fluid smoking outwhen i racked up the car saw that the bolt to the axle housing were broken i extracted the bolts got a new axle and the problem went away may be something to look into Like i Said not a Master tech but it might help solve your problem Good Luck