99Teg starting problems

ckdavis28

I have a 99 LS coupe B18B1, When trying to start just clicks and the lights flash on & off. I don't know if it is associated with the anti theft or starter??? My battery is new? ANy help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ChrisTypeR408

Have you jumped the battery since you got it? sometimes buying a new battery you might have to jump it first.. If the starter isnt turning over but the lights are on then its probably your battery.
Or, try this turn the key to on (don't try to start the car) and see if you can hear a kind buzzing noise (fuel being pumped). If that happens but your starter doesnt then I'm pretty sure theres not enough juice in your battery. Or your starter is bad.

When was the last time your car started?

Edit: Oh and check your grounds for your battery. Also check your fuses while youre at it.

ckdavis28

Thanks Bro, It had been sitting in the garage for a month, It would start even when I tried to jump it. So I purchased a new Battery, Same problem. I'll try your recommendations Thank you

JGvtec

Maybe you should put it on trickle charge for a bit too.

seahtech

For it to be an issue with the anti theft two things would happen. 1) it would crank and crank and crank completely normal and healthy but never start and 2) the green Key emblem in your cluster would be flashing. This would indicate that your Immobilzer unit thinks you are trying to start the car with a non-programmed key.

On to the battery concern. The best indicator is to see if the cluster lights glow as bright as usual when you turn the key on. If they dont, your battery is weak.

Now if they are, and you say you bought a new battery so they should be, your Immobi light (green key) is not flashing, you can hear the fuel pump prime at key on and the car wont start next suspect is the starter.

The best way to check this, without removing it and having it bench checked, is to take a long solid object (long 1/2" extension, pry bar, etc) and bang on the starter while someone tries to start the car. Dont wail on the damn thing but dont just tap it either. If the car starts then your starter is bad. If it STILL wont start then its time to get funky. Start checking/cleaning your grounds, look for any rodent damage to wiring since you said the car has been just sitting, take your starter out and have it tested.

Hope this helps!

JR87

Don't beat on your starter. Take a lenth of wire and apply 12volts to the stater, where the small wire just snaps on it. If it just clicks and arks, try adding a ground strap to the starter housing. Figured this out the hard way lol.