ABS will stop working mid-brake!!? (96' GSR)

lotusevora11

Hey everyone,

so this problem has been happening for a while now and I've just learned to deal with it but its starting to feel less and less safe the more I drive.

so 95% of the time my ABS brakes work but every once in a while mid-stop I hear some loud clicks followed by a very flaccid brake pedal and hugely reduced ability to stop (if that describes it well enough). Then I have to pump the brakes as hard and I can in order to not collide with whatever is in front of me.

Anyone know what might be the issue here? It just stinks because other than those 5% of the time its perfectly fine and I hear replacing the ABS is $$$$. Also it ONLY happens when I'm coming to a stop/halt not when I'm reducing my speed.

Thanks!

R13

The other asshole
Yes, You don't need it in these cars, But it kinda sounds like you have another problem.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Abs shouldn't kick on unless your locking up a wheel. Really sounds like another problem.

Nick_C78

You guys are funny. That isn't the abs not working mid brake. That is actually the ABS kicking on mid brake. The older ABS technology is like that. If the brakes are about to lock up the ABS unit releases pressure from the calipers, the pedal feels soft and theres often vibration from the pulsation. What you are feeling is actually your ABS kicking on. That is the reason most track guys yank out their ABS.

Nick_C78

A simple fix would be to yank the fuses from your ABS fuse box and then test drive it. The ABS light on your dash will be on, but ignore it. The "problem" should go away and the tires will lock up instead. If the problem still happens then you might actually have a leaking caliper, line, or master.