After battery relocation car won't start

srv_mkh

Im a little stumped. I have moved the battery to the trunk to make room for my intercooler piping. When I completed turboing it I started it and it ran. After wiring up my electric fan to the original battery grounding spot on the tranny I cranked it and click click click. So I smacked on the starter and cranked right up. After trying the same thing again and having to hit the starter again to start it, I replaced the starter. Now.... It wont turn at all. I have tested the battery, terminals, and wire to make sure they are getting power... The starter is getting power. The gauges and dash lights go off when i turn key to ON position. Is it my ground wire off of the battery. I thought that if all the lights and fan can come on it would be grounded enough to crank?

Any ideas?

Thank you
DAnny

mohawk42s

i had a problem like this myself after i moved my battery...
unlike most people i ran a ground cable direct from the battery to the factory ground location
my starter was clicking at the point...
i got the starter tested and it was fine so i figured the ground was no good
i ran a cable from the stock ground location to the starter mount and everything works fine
i will take a picture in a few minutes...

the one im pointing to runs to the battery
the other goes to the starter mount

Last edited:

srv_mkh

Mowhawk: Does your starter ground, instead of having an eye bolt, have a slide-in connector? I was considering running another length of ground cable from the battery and ground on the tranny bolt. Thank you for your help.

mohawk42s

yeah its the slide-in connector
the ground wire that a ran to it connects directly to the starter mount bolt in the back (on the trans)

srv_mkh

Well an update...It was for sure my grounding. I did however get a bad starter the first time through advanced auto in town but they switched it for another reman'd one which was good. I ended up just running another length of 4 gauge wire back up from the battery and grounded it on the original bellhousing bolt. I'm sure it there is a cleaner way but this works for now. At least its runnin.

Thanks for all your help.

mohawk42s

good to hear you have it running again...keep us posted

srv_mkh

Problem after problem

well it goes from one problem to the next :cry:

got it running now and took it out down the road it idles really low and when i give it gas it lags really bad and almost chokes it out. my air/fuel was reading rich w/pedal and w/o any pedal, also the oil pressure was reading around 80 w/ pedal and around 20 w/o. At one time it went up to 120. I never got it past vaccum b/c it ran so badly i was nervous to push it. It almost seemed to drown it with the accelerator. At normal operating temperature it idles about 100 rpm. I have a zdyne ecu that supposed to have been preset to my needs by the guy i bought it from...seemed trustworthy...and 650cc injectors...and a ebay fuel pressure regulator. I tried adjusting the fuel pressure but it just seems to stay around 30psi. I know that should be higher? I also checked today the spark for each wire...pulling one at a time and saw how it reacted without that cylinder...it wasnt at N.O.T yet so i dont know if that has something to do with it? Any clue? Also, can you send in an ecu to have it tuned or do you have to get the car to them?

thanks guys
danny