Another new guy

oregonsandrat

Been lurking for a while, great site and good info.

So here's my commuter car... 98 GSR with (turned over last night) 200k. compression is around 250 +/-5 through out. I think the owners previous to the owners I bought it from really took care of the car. The people who owned the car before me were dip$hit$ and I have been slowly working my way through the car fixing little things here and there.

So fa I've:
fixed the tail light leak
shifter knob
interior panels
dried the interior out
reconditioned the headlights
cleaned, cleaned, and cleaned some more. I found ashes behind the instrument cluster... wtf?
new floor mats (couldn't get the funk out of the old ones
tune up
fluid changes
front pads and rotors
gas cap (still chasing the evap leak canister side).
radiator cap
3 coats of wax
painted the window trim
replaced the antenna whip
changed out the cluster lights
and cleaned some more.

I need to find the evap leak still and change the timing belt and wp soon. Does anyone have any suggestions for a kit with the belt, pump, and seals ? I'd even piece it together if I could get a good value with better parts.

Anyways here's a pick after the first wash...

Last edited:

oregonsandrat

Forgot to mention that I'm a diehard Honda guy... I've always owned Honda dirt bikes and quads. Now that I've gotten a little older I've gone to 4 wheels and ride sand.

And my old daily driver that I'm going to give a little rest to.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Like what youre doing with it. Exactly how my car looked when i bought. Love black gsr's! Awesome compression at 200k. If you got a canister leak just replace it with another used unit. Theyre around $50 on average. You can buy oem honda parts online, i usually use delray acura www.acuraoemparts.com, and get fairly decent prices and being oem parts you cant go wrong. Dont use that aftermarket s*** for those parts. They may work but most of the time dont last as long. Keep up the updates!

How die hard are you? Show us your honda tat.

lol im gonna one up you and say i had leather in my car.... had. =P

Last edited:

oregonsandrat

I'm looking for some leather to swap. Problem is that my interior is blue and the gray imo wont look as good as black with it. I seriously just picked it up to commute but when you have the sickness you can't leave it alone. I just have to put it into perspective with the mods. Already have a soft spot for it. It gets twice the mileage as my truck and maintenance will be a hell of a lot cheaper too.

No Honda tat yet... maybe someday. Your car is nice... Love the look of the R wing and lip.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
What do you mean its blue? I never heard of a black gsr that came with blue interior except for the black/dark grey seats with the blue confetti. Your interior looks black and grey in the photo. Black goes with anything and would replace those seats anyway if that is the case. I replaced my leather for two reasons though, first for better seats and second cus as much as i like the luxury of leather interior, its too fuckin hot and uncomfortable overall.

Your car is my before, mine could be your after. lol

oregonsandrat

The dash and interior plastic is a dark blue, hard to tell that it's not black unless you put black against it. The seats and carpet are definitely blue though. The paint has a blue spec in it as well... Starlight Black Pearl.........NH-592P.

The only leather I've seen is a dark gray or tan as far as stock seats go. Is there a black leather? That's what I'm after, the gray would be fine too.

The heat isn't too bad on the Oregon Coast, though with a black box and as much glass as the car has it does get warm.

Last edited:

oregonsandrat

One other thing... I took the tail lenses off to reseal them and cracked the drivers side partially. I never though that used all red tails were worth so much. Live and learn.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Reds are more popular than ambers but keep shopping around if u have time cuz ive seen them go for 100-150. You really cant tell in those pictures but yes black leather is out there, thats what mine came with. Tail plastic is more fragile than headlights and the length of it makes it easier to crack with leverage applied. That color code should be Flamenco black pearl. I have the blue flakes in my paint too.