At a loss, looking for a little help

EclecticTeg21

I'm having an issue with a friends 92 teg with a B18B1 and I'm starting to get lost with it.

Recently done: Changed spark plugs, tps, cleaned iacv and fitv.

It started out with a surging idle and is throwing 3 codes. They are MAP sensor, Throttle position sensor, and electric load.

I clean the two valves, and change the tps with a new one. Idle no longer surges. Now heres the problem.

It will crank, then shut right off. If its given throttle itll stay on, but idle high at 1000rpms. When driving, once it hits 2k rpm, even with the throttle FLOORED, it literally does almost nothing until it hits 4k rpm and then it takes off like normal. The same thing happens with car in neutral, pedal to the floor.

I havent done anything with the map sensor yet, but doubt its causing these problems. All three codes were being thrown before this new problem.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

dlo253

What ecu do you have? From what I've seen and read DA didn't have an eld. I get that issue occasionally, I'm running a p06 which looks for eld but my fusebox doesn't have one.

EclecticTeg21

I'm not sure which ecu he's running, but ill look into it tomorrow. I'm not too concerned with that code, mainly just this bogging issue. Thanks for the heads up though, that could definitely be why that eld code is on.

Nick_C78

Well for one I would def get a new MAP sensor. They are pretty important, not that I think it is causing those particular issues. And this might be a dumb question, but when you changed the TPS did you calibrate it? TPS sensors are insanely sensitive.

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
I've experienced issues like this with a variety of vehicles in the past. Usually caused by a malfunctioning or dirty IACV and doesn't always throw a code. It couldn't hurt to at least clean the IACV, especially since the other 3 codes are no longer causing an issue. Could also be what dlo said as well.

EclecticTeg21

I cleaned the iacv, but I'm going to give it another cleaning today as well. He's getting a map sensor as well, but not sure when. The help is appreciated