auto reverse grinding not engaging

fixitdad

on my daughters 93 integra gl when shifting from park or drive to reverse it will make a grinding noise and not engage usually when cold but sometimes when warmed up too.shifting back and forth from p to d a few times then to r works.. but the problem seems to be getting worse.any ideas?

Last edited:

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
well I own a manual Transmission, but knowing a thing or 2 about cars in general, let me pose a couple questions...

Are you leaking transmission fluid?

Pull the dipstick for the transmission fluid (not sure if AT integras have 1 or not for AT versions) does the fluid smell burned up?

When is the last time you have the AT filter and fluid changed? a clogged filter or even low fluid levels can cause this.

I suggest you have that transmission serviced ASAP and don't keep driving with it like that. the more you drive & do whatever it is you are doing to get it in gear etc... the more damage you are doing to it in general. AT are expensive to repair once you grenade them. get it fixed or start hunting for a spare ASAP cause it will be far cheaper to do a swap than a rebuild...

fixitdad

fluid level is fine just serviced @ 100k car has only 135k on it. am the second owner car was serviced regularly @ dealer by past owner,have had it for a year prob just started a couple of months ago

fixitdad

i'm thinking it might have something to do with the auto lock and linkage just wanted a second opinion b4 i tear into it

djzachtyler

yeah beyond what I suggested I have nothin more to offer... stuff like this is why I love my 5 speed :)

fixitdad

couldn't beat the price paid 500 bucks for it and replaced the radiator its got every option and had only 116k on it when i got it

djzachtyler

that is really low mileage for sure... and at that price hell ya can put what ya saved into a spare tranny and swap it when it tanks :)