B18c LS/VTEC worth doing?

jdean41

Ok my friend has a bare b18c that he said i could have for like 40 bucks. Hes desperate lol
The head is in great condition. Do yall think it would be worth building for an lsvtec? It will cost a good little bit to get everything. but i think its worth it. I need some opinions.

jznsn2u

For $40 I would buy it just to buy it and maybe make a table. How often do you see people selling engines for $40 :roll:.

McFly

If he is selling a B18C head for $40 and you dont want it I will surely take it.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
Is it just the head or a bare engine? Im guess ing its just a head.
Thats a good deal, a good low milage head is worth about 350-400 fully assembled, and u can get oem valvetrain online for dirt cheap (acuraoemwarehouse.com)
But to safely run a lsvtec setup you will need a very good tune.

jdean41

yeah, when i get the head im gonna have it machined, ported &polished etc. And ill probably order all the stock valve train, and when i get ready to do the build im gonna pull the whole motor and put in new rods, bearings and pistons, so i can b safer, but if its a completely stock build most of the time you dont have to build the bottom end, just make sure its all installed properly. But for the purpose of a little extra power and more safety im gonna build the bottom.

yeah, when i get the head im gonna have it machined, ported &polished etc. And ill probably order all the stock valve train, and when i get ready to do the build im gonna pull the whole motor and put in new rods, bearings and pistons, so i can b safer, but if its a completely stock build most of the time you dont have to build the bottom end, just make sure its all installed properly. But for the purpose of a little extra power and more safety im gonna build the bottom.
Why spend the money on a PNP and then use stock valve train. The head already flows quite well with the ports it has with the stock valve train. If you build the head and get more aggressive cams, then PNP the head. If not, don't waste the money.

jdean41

I plan on building the head as well, it just depends on how much money i have after i build my bottom end. Id like to get some more aggressive cams and good cam gears.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
For $40 I would buy it just to buy it and maybe make a table. How often do you see people selling engines for $40 :roll:.
i want to do this with a single block haha

I plan on building the head as well, it just depends on how much money i have after i build my bottom end. Id like to get some more aggressive cams and good cam gears.
do it all at once. the really good cams need to be degreed in and some pistons may require you to clay the head anyways. so do it all at once

Why spend the money on a PNP and then use stock valve train. The head already flows quite well with the ports it has with the stock valve train. If you build the head and get more aggressive cams, then PNP the head. If not, don't waste the money.
my thoughts exatly

mirrorimg

What Paden (BrokenTalon27) is probably alluding to, is why do it twice?

Why spend $300 getting this to stock form internally, plus the $300 on a PNP and machine work, and then go buy new cams, gears, and valve train?

Sounds like a waste of initial capital that could be spent directly on upgrades.

WDEDMON1

What Paden (BrokenTalon27) is probably alluding to, is why do it twice?

Why spend $300 getting this to stock form internally, plus the $300 on a PNP and machine work, and then go buy new cams, gears, and valve train?

Sounds like a waste of initial capital that could be spent directly on upgrades.
True dat..

jdean41

I can actually get a PNP for free. thats why im doing it. It all depends on how things fall money wise, if i have the money to really build the block and head at once im going to, otherwise im building the block and getting all stock parts for the valve train until i can build the head.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I can actually get a PNP for free. thats why im doing it. It all depends on how things fall money wise, if i have the money to really build the block and head at once im going to, otherwise im building the block and getting all stock parts for the valve train until i can build the head.
shit i got stock valves cams cam gears and IM for you then