Bent valves help

JPittenger

So I took my car in to get the power steering rack replaced and got a call saying the timing belt jumped. They fixed that up and said it seems like belt valves (bad/low compression) and that the head is going to need to go to a machine shop and be a few grand.

I'm a little mad because I had this engine swapped in when my old one crapped out 5 months ago. I've never had this kind of repair done, so is there anything I should ask to make sure they check or do when getting the head fixed up? I don't want to lose the car and can't really afford to scrap it or get another so this is basically my only option.

Its a 96 with 240~k on body and the engine was swapped in from a 94 or 95 I think (it had a different idle control that my original one didn't). My guy said there's always a possibility when getting the head fixed up that the block could crap out. Anyone have any experience in this sort of situation?

zack11122

I know of some shops that would say that... do a compression test and check the tbelt yourself.....

JPittenger

The car is still at the garage. I'm sure they would let me look at it if I wanted, but I wouldn't know what to look for. From what I've read an old belt can get loose and jump time and I don't think the guys that put the engine in replaced the timing belt. And I'm worried about even looking for another engine after this. It was $1600 to get the engine and it put in and I was having problems for a few weeks after that trying to get the idle and oil leak figured out.

zack11122

I would have went back and told them to fix it.... If they bought the motor and put it in. I think it's time to think about learning cars. Look up how to do a compression test. Get the car back. Rent the gauge. And find a friend with the tools to pull spark plugs. That's your best bet.

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
I highly doubt the valves are bent in a nonvtec motor, yes it's possibly but the car wouldn't be running smooth if running at all if it was indeed bent.

Get it tested before jumping the gun.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
I agree with DonJulio. I doubt its bent. Do a compression test yourself. Bent valves will give 0 or extremely low compression in that cylinder.

JPittenger

I'll go in and talk with them tomorrow. He said on the phone that all 4 cylinders had low compression after it jumped. I wasn't having any problems with the engine before this happened, and I don't think he'd try to rip me off in any way as my mom's known him for a long time.

Nick_C78

Time for a new mechanic. Very rarely do non vtec motors bend valves as they stated. And yes, if all 4 are low then they need to learn how to do timing. Also, what are the chances the belt happened to skip at their shop while they were messing with stuff on that side of the motor(Power steering). It all sounds shady man.

JordanB21

Time for a new mechanic. Very rarely do non vtec motors bend valves as they stated. And yes, if all 4 are low then they need to learn how to do timing. Also, what are the chances the belt happened to skip at their shop while they were messing with stuff on that side of the motor(Power steering). It all sounds shady man.
Exactly what I thought. Its hard to find honest mechanics. He'll I have trouble finding people who can screw in the oil drain plug all the way.