brake problem

hondaproof

hondaproof
on 75 this morning my front brakes engaged on theyr own.the smell of burning pads is horrible,especially when your driving.i get it to work and inspect my shit.everything i could see looked fine, except the calipers were still grabbing the rotors.after sitting all day i got in it to drive it home hoping i wouldnt have to jump on the brake pedal. i got it home without touching the brake pedal but about half way they started engaging again.it was gradual, not sudden.im thinking its the proportioning valve.anybody disagree?

dubJ06

That's an interesting problem. I would start with the obvious first. Check the pads, calipers, master cylinder if you haven't yet. If all of those are good then start looking at things like caliper mounting bolts not secure, the pedal itself, etc. sometimes the hardest problems have the easiest fix. I would assume something between the pedal and master or between the master and the caliper is sending pressure. Is it both sides or just one?

hondaproof

hondaproof
from what i can see there are no problems with the obvious.its the two front calipers,they did this twice yesterday at the same time.i think it all points to the proportioning valve.i hope anyways,i just purchased one.

heritage36

Hmmm, interesting, you sure those calipers weren't just sticking or pins maybe? I have never heard of a honda prop valve having any ussies and I have worked specifically on hondas and acuras for the last about 6 years.

hondaproof

hondaproof
im sure.but i am not however about to let this pick at me one at a time.this is a good a time as any to park it for a while and replace everything.id kinda like a whole new brake system.and some bushings and prolly a little body work.ive got another car to drive.fuck it.i think thats what i will do.maybe a small build thread!