cam installation

94integrarsedan

i bought new cams and i know how to install them but, i dont want to mess with the timing belt my question is can i remove one cam for example remove the intake cam then install themnew cam while the exhuast cam is still in can i change it one by one.

civic98turbo

Honda Tech
what you could do is...use zip ties on the cam gear and timing belt....make sure you break the bolts on the cam gears before you take off the cam girdles and mark the timing on the distributor....also make sure the motor is on TDC on the # 1 cylinder...when you get all the studs and bolts off the girdles, take off the bolt on the cam gear to the cam, slide the cam towards the drivers side and then up and out...install in reverse order....make sure to adjust the valves accordingly...what type of cams on what motor?

94integrarsedan

crower stage one im new the honda motors how do u know when u motor is on tdc i know there is a mark somewhere and the engine is a b18a

mteg

Automatic Lover
If I were you, I'd get some good adjustable cam gears. Not only will this cut out the guesswork, but you'll need them to get the most out of your cams. Invest in a timing gun too, or at least borrow one.

civic98turbo

Honda Tech
there are marks on the cam gears that say up...you need to turn the motor over until they both point straight up...easier way...take out spark plug #1and put a screwdriver in the cylinder....turn the motor over until the screwdriver is sticking as far out as it can....and as for the cam gears...they aren't a nessesity but they are nice...i'm running my ctr cams on my stock cam gears...and its awesome....you should get a SAFC or a standalone down the road for optimum tuning