chipping 0BD0 necessary?

idoke

Does it do anything if you chip your ecu? Slight mods including intake and exhaust...

Does it do anything if you chip your ecu? Slight mods including intake and exhaust...
Socketing your ECU so you can put an EPROM chip on it is so you can have a map written to your specific car and it is always better than simply a base map, and leaps and bounds above a piggy back such as the SAFC.
There are some shops that will chip and OBD0 ECU, but the majority of them socket OBD1 ECUs.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
For just an intake and exhaust, your stock ECU can make enough adjustments on it's own to the a/f ratio.
If you pull the ECU fuse (under the hood) after bolt-on mods are installed, then start the car up, let it idle for a bit, that helps the ECU adjust much faster to the new parts. If you don't pull the fuse, the a/f will still eventually adjust, it'll just take longer.

For just an intake and exhaust, your stock ECU can make enough adjustments on it's own to the a/f ratio.
If you pull the ECU fuse (under the hood) after bolt-on mods are installed, then start the car up, let it idle for a bit, that helps the ECU adjust much faster to the new parts. If you don't pull the fuse, the a/f will still eventually adjust, it'll just take longer.
this is complete and total bullshit as far as our cars go, the computer in fact won't compensate because we do not have mass airflow sensors and the intake and exhaust won't make that much of a pressure change for the map sensor to pick anything up. the only benefit you will see is at top end you're gonna have a little more pull but you're also going to throw off the driveability and quality of idle by doing these things i have witnessed this all first hand. I thought my car needed a new o2 sensor and such because my idle was not great and had a little miss here and there,and i had to give it more gas to take off. i bought my s300 system with a basemap for my bolt ons and holy shit it was a whole new car the thing idles perfect starts better, shuts off better, and overall just drives better. I am now convinced that bolt ons are a waste of money unless you just want your car to sound cool. as for your actual question though i have no clue if you can put an e prom in obd1 lol

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Well that's the first time I've ever heard anyone talk about their car losing driveability, get bad idle, missing, or having trouble shutting down because they installed a simpe bolt-on or two. And I never had any of that happen to my own car.
I guess if you cede that there will be gains at the top end, it not complete and total bullshit, huh?

I think all 3 of us can learn something from THIS.