Code 12, EGR 1992 5 speed car

InfernalVortex

So I figured out what my CEL was for, got Code 12. Which is Exhaust Recirculation, EGR or whatever acronym Honda uses.

I did some searches, and found that EGR is a little uncommon. Some were saying that it was only on automatic cars, and perhaps only 90-91 cars. But when it comes to things people say the numbers can be off a little...

So the way I see it, there are two options.

1. Someone has put an EGR computer from another car into mine.
2. Someone has swapped out an automatic for a manual and swapped the engine at the same time.

How can I verify what engine this is? Is there a way to verify what options the car came with from the factory? I know us GM guys have compnine.com and SPID sheets that are often hidden in certain crevices, but I have no idea how to check if this car was a manual or automatic before it got to me. Any advice would help.

Or if you have a good explanation for why a car with no EGR is showing a Code 12, Im all ears.

Last edited:

dlo253

EGR is auto only, you have a manual?
If you are throwing a code then yes, that means there is an AT ecu in your car.
Get a manual ecu and you should be good to go.
Look on the intake manifold. The EGR valve (if there) will be on it, behind the oil cap. One plug coming from it.
If you actually have the valve, you can just leave it there.. Or swap for a MT manifold, or buy one of my EGR block off plates.
Swapping ECU is what's gonna solve your problem tho more than likely.

InfernalVortex

I looked on google to try and find pictures of the EGR valves on these cars with no luck. I dont see anything that looks like anything I'm familiar with as an EGR valve... but I wanted to post a picture for verification.

So I need to replace the whole ECM? There's no EEPROM in it or anything to replace? Where is the ECM on these cars? I figure if I can find the ECM I can pull some numbers off of it and confirm what it's from.

The car runs really well as far as I can tell, I find it odd the ECM has been changed... very odd.

dlo253

No egr valve on that.
Yeah the ecu needs to be swapped out for a manual one. Or bring it to a tuner and get them to delete it from the ecu. Passenger side floor under the carpet