cometic head gasket for low compression

jimmy_

DontTalkJustPoundGears
i was told stock head gasket's can hold 14 pounds so if i want to pass 14 pounds i need a cometic head gasket so my question is what is the proper thickness for a ls trying to pass 14 pounds or just to have it standard size i know is 81mm

Ghost75

Consumer of Apples
I'd imagine any cometic gasket could handle what you're going for, but the 81mm you're looking at is piston bore size...stock is 81mm

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Jimmy, you were grossly misinformed with that broad generalization of tuning advice. Please don't talk to them anymore and come here for any further questions.

The goal of a thicker head gasket is to lower static compression which is old school thinking and not necessary today. You're safe to run stock compression on pump gas up to ~400hp (regardless of boost pressure).

jimmy_

DontTalkJustPoundGears
so its safe to say run my car on the stock gasket untill i surpass 400 or get to 400hp

Muckman

Not a M0derator
The head gasket isn't the issue. Stock cast pistons are the weakest link.
And running a thicker head gasket isn't going to fix the piston.

What are your goals? Lets start there.

jimmy_

DontTalkJustPoundGears
lets say my pistons get swapped and i do my leak down test and compression test and i pass with flying colors would it even matter if i changed my stock head gasket with a cometic and swap out the head,main studs and rod bolts

jbrown97ls

250 shouldn't be an issue with a healthy engine and a good tune. I would replace the hg no matter what but you don't need a cometic. Oem is more than enough.

Ghost75

Consumer of Apples
250 boosted stock shouldn't be a problem, I'd throw in arp headstuds and you're good for a good bit more.