compression test results b17

408DB2

Just did my compression test for the first time on my 1993 db2. It has 193,xxx original miles. What do u guys think about these numbers?

Cylinder 1: 180psi
Cylinder 2: 165psi*
Cylinder 3: 150psi*
Cylinder 4: 180psi

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Thats not too bad considering the miles.
Can I ask why did you do the compression test now?

408DB2

Thats not too bad considering the miles.
Can I ask why did you do the compression test now?
I was just curious to see what's the condition of my engine. The car runs fine with no issues. Is there a particular reason why cylinders 2 and 3 were slight lower than 1 and 4 cylinder?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Sometimes if 2 cylinders are equally low that can mean the tbelt is off. But if you havent done anything cam related then its not that. You can try adding 1 cap full of oil and see if the numbers come up in those cylinders. That will tell you if the rings are the source of the leak.

408DB2

Sometimes if 2 cylinders are equally low that can mean the tbelt is off. But if you havent done anything cam related then its not that. You can try adding 1 cap full of oil and see if the numbers come up in those cylinders. That will tell you if the rings are the source of the leak.
Ok cool ill definitely do that. Anything else that i should look for? Lets say the numbers stay the same or go lower...?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
If the numbers go up alot (around where the others are) with a "wet" compression test that means the oil did its job and pluged the leaking rings.
If the numbers only go up a few points then the rings arent the issue, its likely leaking from the valves.

Honestly 150~165psi isnt that bad for an old motor.

Nick_C78

Yeah, those numbers aren't that bad. I agree with Muckman on this. I suppose it could also be the head gasket, right between both those cylinders, but I doubt it, since the numbers are still decent. Sounds more like normal wear, but still damn good for the miles. Not something to really worry about at this time.

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
I wouldn't say that having compression off by that margin is necessarily OK...

could indicate a few things... worn rings, leaking valves, or head gasket in your worst case. Perform a "wet" test using oil like Muckman mentioned in his reply and post back if you achjeved different results.

dopematic

I believe that its a minimum of 135psi in each cylinder but a compression test; you're mainly looking for variance between each cylinder. I think that maximum variance allowed is about 25psi.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Haha its def not ideal. I simply mean its OK. Its clearly an old motor and lower compression would be expected. OP said it runs fine with no issues so carry on!

dopematic

Sure would be, a compression test doesn't really say much. Leakdown test would at least tell you the source it's losing compression from.

nick92

92 lowered da
I believe that its a minimum of 135psi in each cylinder but a compression test; you're mainly looking for variance between each cylinder. I think that maximum variance allowed is about 25psi.
yes ive heard 135 is minimum before also and that u dont want more that 10-15 diff between cylnders, but i recently did a compression test on my 93 with 255k on it and it only had and average between 115 -125, but still runs great barks tires to 3rd and has no problem getting to 133mph. but yes you dont want anything that low if possible. but hey if its runnin fine and idling fine leave it be