conflict of interest...?

Lerkz11

ok. so for a good four months now i have been scanning and reading through forums and websites about what to do with my 90' ls. and i know that everyone is probably going to be as annoyed as i am by finding another ls/vtec thread, but i believe that i have a quite different problem. so what i have gathered is that LSV is a cheap way to gain power from a b18 and that it takes a little work to pull off (nothing i cant handle) but the problem that everyone seems to talk about is that the block isnt meant for all those rpms resulting in catastrophic failure. while other enthusiasts claim that building the motor properly will give you a long lasting LSV with ample power. both sides make sense to me and the whole entire b18 not being meant to rev up that high being a big problem kinda freaks me out considering that ive never done an LSV conv before. now ive also read that the b18a1 built n/a and boosted alike with a b16, gsr, type r tranny will last longer and even probably out muscle the LSV. that also makes sense. so my problem is this. i live in a state where if you have a turbo on a non turbo car (which is my daily driver) and they catch you with it. you car literally gets crushed. so im nt going to risk dumping a whole bunch of money into a car that can potentially become a trashcan. my question is, is the ls/vtec that bad of an idea??? can a b18a1 all motor really out power an LSV???would it be a waste of my time?? should i just build the b18? i already have all other information on how to build up both motors and all the necessary steps/parts/everything. i just want to hear from experienced owners of both of these, what would be my best path to take. btw i have 2 b18a1 blocks 1 b18head no b16 head yet. the block without the head is waiting. the other is in my car running.(like shit) thank you

LSiNtegraDB7

I enjoy Integras.
That's a lot of words....

lol. I'm pretty sure it's not that the block can't handle the rpms though, it's that the ls rods weren't meant for it. Upgrade them and a few other things here and there and your fine. Correct me if I'm wrong of course...

Lerkz11

thank you for your reply. didnt mean to overkill, just wanted the answer that i was looking for. =D thanks for the post!

Lerkz11

well i went ahead and bought myself a b16 head for 100 bucks and it seems to be in good shape. one of the cam journals has to be worked a little but i have a friend of mine that is going to machine the head and the block. im looking at type-r cams and skunk2 valve springs/retainers. i was also wondering if AEM adjustable cam gears are a good choice. if anyone has any input please post. this is my first ls/vtec build and i dont want to buy crap parts. thank you.

ohh yeah... and as far as pistons go. will type r do the trick??? thanx again

Last edited:

mirrorimg

Its not the rods, its the rod bolts. They are something like 1mm thinner than the GSR/ITR rod bolts. They will fatigue under that much stress and snap. Then you have a rod flying around in your block.

You can upgrade the rods which will come with bigger bolts, or install some ARP rod bolts.

emd513

i personally would do both. pick up some eagle h beam rods and a complete engine set of arp studs for the rods, crank, and head.that way you have no worries what so ever in the block.

mirrorimg

i personally would do both. pick up some eagle h beam rods and a complete engine set of arp studs for the rods, crank, and head.that way you have no worries what so ever in the block.
Eagle rods come with ARP bolts.

Lerkz11

california. and apparently i was a little uninformed. im from miami fl where smog doesnt exist but out here if you have a car that doesnt come factory turbo and they find the turbo on your motor they take your car strip the motor out and then you just have a shell if you want the car back. soooooo. since im gonna be using this car to drive around i dont want that to happen to it.