Cracked block????

ImportRacer209

I know this is a inetgra forum, but a honda is the same.... so a few days ago I replaced the radiator nd did a oil change on my wife's 98 honda civic ex and been driving it around fine until today, it started overheating again but this time water was coming from behind the engine above the oil pan somewhere don't really know where/didn't see it. How can I check to see if it's a cracked block? Or could it be something else?

OneFastGSR

There's a couple things it might be I wouldn't say it's a cracked block yet, Jack the car up and get a good light and look all around underneath or from above try to see where it's coming from

Nick_C78

The back side of the block has the main water pipe and several coolant lines. It could just be leaking from there. Obviously the thing to do is clean it all up and find the leak. Worst case scenario is cracked block in which case you just buy a new single cam for dirt cheap and throw it in. I heard they have them in vending machines now. Second worst case is head gasket, which you just change the head gasket, as long as the head and block are still straight.

ImportRacer209

So I got under the car and checked it out and I found this little hole next to a bolt, where it looks like the water is coming from, I think it's the water pump bleed hole but not for sure, I took a pic.... here it is....

Last edited:

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Thats not a hole in the water pump. If you think the source is the water pump then the water pump gasket may be leaking. At any rate, if you want to replace that then its also a good time to replace the entire water pump and timing belt too.