Crank pulley wobble/rubbing on lower timing cover

philtegra

I searched through all relevant threads but could not find anybody that has come to a clear solution to this problem.

Yesterday I removed all of my accessory belts, thank my crank pulley to inspect it. The pulley is less than two years old from honda and has no noticeable defects. I replaced the key the old key had no noticeable issues with it.

What I did notice was according to the diagram below I believe I am supposed to have two timing belt Guides/washers. One on each side of my timing belt. I Only have one as can be seen in the picture. Before i take off my timing belt can someone please just confirm that there should be two of these washers? part number 15 in the diagram.

philtegra

Ok thank you!

My next question is which way should the concave part of the washer face? the front one faces away from the timing belt towards the crank pulley, i`m guessing the rear one should face concave towards the engine and the flat side against the belt?

jbrown97ls

I don't remember exactly but I believe you have the flat part of both washers touching the belt

philtegra

That makes the most sense to me. I really appreciate the help and will update this thread after I put that washer in. hopefully this solves both my wobble and rubbing issue and can be used by future members who also encounter this problem.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Only 1 washer/guide. The parts in the box are for anther version possibly older model year.
Concave should expand away from tbelt as its a GUIDE to center the belt on the pulley.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
It is very important to have the concave parts facing away from the belt. Having them the wrong way will cause them to chew up the belt and it will snap in about a month.
It should be like this:
Pulley )--belt--( Engine

If this is incorrect you will break your timing belt after a few weeks

philtegra

Muckman, your saying that their is only supposed to be one washer? Why does the diagram show two washer/guides?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
There are TWO diagrams in that picture. One with 1 washers and the one in the BOX that shows 2 washers. The BOX is an alternate diagram. Probably the older OBD1 engine had 2 washers. Yours doesn't have 2 washers.

Another clue, look at #13. That is NOT your tbelt gear. Yours is #14 and hence only 1 washer.

philtegra

Your correct, because earlier models did not have a crank sensor gear. mine is obd2 and I have a crank sensor. Guess my trouble shooting was incorrect. Any other ideas as to why I have a wobble and my alternator belt rubs into my timing cover?

philtegra

Hey well at least you saved me a big headache of putting in something that's not even supposed to be there. I appreciate the help man. I`m downloading an fsm now and will do some more searching.

drewcandraw

have you resolved your issue yet? I currently have the same problem with a wobbling crank pulley. We loosened the ac bolt a little and it fixed the wobble but after a quick drive the wobble was back.

I need to inspect my crank pulley on a day off to make sure everything looks good.