D.I.Y. Transmission dissassembly

Theasian

Ok So I decided to do a write up transmission is a LS. This D.I.Y is a walk through of how to split the case to access the inner workings of your trans.

I am a professional mechanic but this is something most everybody with enough patience can do themselves.

First you want a wide clean area to work on the trans. Clean to no working on it out in the sand pit.

Wrap the splines of the main shaft with electrical tape masking tape w.e tape just do it. It helps prevent damaging the main shaft seal.

Grab a block of wood and prop the transmission up on one side so the main shaft isnt smashing into the work surface area.

Pull your speed sensor out one 10mm bolt (sorry no pic of this step forgot to shoot it)

On the bottom of the trans there are two 12mm bolts remove each of these. These bolts hold the detente spring and balls

On the top side of the trans by the center bolt hole fore the transmission mount remove this bolt. It is the reverse shaft holder.

Now pull all the case bolts there are like 16 or 17 bolts that mate the clutch house casing with the gear house casing.

There is a bolt hidden behind this bracket remove the bracket

Now remove the half in square on the very top of the case. Inside here is the retention ring on the top of the counter shaft. Perfect time for a nice pair of ring splitter. If you dont have access to those a nice fat blade flat head screw driver i will work. Or use two screw driver together to spread the prongs apart.

After the ring is spread the counter shaft will fall

Now take a dead blow hammer and hit the gear house casing all around lots of smacking makes the job easier. Use a pry bar at the boss nice prying surface.

You may have to work it a bit once it pops up the case should separate pretty easy

Removing the internals

Wear gloves if ya dont want transmission poo all up on ya. Its a pain to get off.

First remove the reverse idle gear. Do this by pulling up on the shaft (not threaded hole on top) once the bottom is up above the case hole lean her on out and away

Note the alignment stud at the bottom for proper orientation

Next remove the change leaver assembly. It is held in by three bolts all 10mm. Lean the change leaver assembly away from the gear shafts and pull it out.
BE CAREFUL! It dose come apart. Look it over real well in case it dose come apart.

Now remove the reverse idle gear leaver. two bolts

This step i couldnt get a picture for you because a man only has two hands ok.

Removing the main shaft counter shaft and shift forks. Grab the all together and just lift up. They should come out easily set them down on a clean are preferably a cloth if your working on concrete. They will roll apart. Just take the shift forks off and set them all aside.

WATCH!!!!! When you lift the shafts out of the case look at the bottom of the main shaft. At the base their are two washer check and see if they are coming up the the shaft make sure they stay together do not loose them and make sure they remain in the proper orientation.

The washers The second pic if you look close you can see the concave washer and its orientation

The top washer is larger and flat. The bottom washer is smaller and concave.

Lastly this is easy grab the big round thing called the diff and pull that sucker out.

Use a screw driver to pry the magnet out.

Theasian

Any feed back is appreciated my first how to write up

Ill do the reassembly in the next day or so once the parts get in.

Last edited: