DIY: Painting Rims

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
Hey. So I was going to make a video about this with my girlfriend's camera but the battery was dead and she couldn't find the charger, so I took some pictures.

Alright, yes this is a "DIY" but who am I to say what the "right way" is to paint rims. This is just what I did.

I started off by going out and getting:

- 4 cans of paint
- 4 cans of primer
- 2 cans of clear coat
- red scuff pads
- 600 grit sand paper with a foam back

1. First thing I did was lay a bunch of news papers on my Parent's garage floor so I don't get paint everywhere and I can keep my life.

2. Next, I took a rim and sanded it with the 600 grit sandpaper until it was all scuffed or "cloudy"

before sanding:

after sanding:

3. Then I took some thinner (oh ya, you'll need thinner and an old cloth. I used an old t-shirt), and wipe off all the dust with a thinner'ed cloth

4. After you let the rim dry for a bit (only takes maybe a minute), you can begin to spray some primer on them. I sprayed 3 coats of primer to make sure it's completely covered. Remember, 10 thin coats is better then 1 thick coat.

5. After each coat has dried, I took the red scuff pad and scuffed the rim up a bit so the next coat will stick better. I did not use the thinner but I did wipe it off with a clean part of the cloth

6. This will take a while for all 4 rims so I had to introduce some entertainment for myself.

7. After a few coats of primer (primer the entire rim before spraying any paint or you will have primer over-spray and that would not look good), I laid a layer of paint down.

8. Watching paint dry is like watching paint dry. So I decided to bug my parent's fat cat.

This was after a few beer and after breathing aerosol for a few hours, I thought it was very entertaining at the time:

(lazy ass)

9. After all the rims have had a few layers of paint, I put some clear coat on them (without scuffing them)

without clear:

with clear:

10. After as much clear coat as I could put on the rims, I left them in the garage over night to dry. You should inspect the rims to make sure there are no blemishes before clear coating. If there is something wrong with the paint, you can easily fix it before you have clear coated. If you fond something wrong with it after clear coat then it's harder to fix and might not turn out properly.

11. I put them outside to dry in the morning. To keep them off the ground, I used 2 bricks, standing upright, and rested the rims on the center (where the hub goes so you can't see it anyway).

12. Now get some tires on them and enjoy.

---------------------------------

If you don't have the hands to sand the rims with some sandpaper, you can always use a power drill and a scuff bit:

My parents were getting worried about the mess I was making:

But I told them I had it all covered up so there would be no over-spray or anything. I started to clean:

and noticed this:

I don't think I'm invited back for a while.

dreamofjdm

2@DHD2r3@Th3H013Thread
dont forget to take the wheels off be for painting you really dont wanna get paint on the calipers.

dreamofjdm

2@DHD2r3@Th3H013Thread
come on guys we all know if i did not post that some a hole would be asking: why are my brakes sticking?

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
Whoever paints rims while on the car deserves to have sticky brakes. Some things are just very basic common sense. Oh well. Hope this thread helps someone out there.

00GSRfullbuild

Nice paintin dude. I did my EP3 and they look so much better than stock.

Your cat looks lik mine lol, they seem to do the samething...

Wells1126

I wanna paint mine black? idk if its a good idea tho my cars dark green and I wanna paint rims black then tint the tailights and tint the windows darker? Good idea or not im not really into the gold but that does sound like it would be pretty sick on the dark green :)