Do I need my head/block resurfaced??

functionteg

I am rebuilding my engine (b18b1) and idk if I need to take it to the machine shop or not. The engine has 218,000 miles on it and the rings have gone bad but it burns little oil and never any coolant also the car has never overheated. I bought a cometic head gasket for it because I am putting in forged internals so if I just pull the head, clean surfaces with acetone, spray gasket with copper, and reassemble will I be ok? Low comp pistons for turbo are going in as well as arp headstuds

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
Always resurface. You can mill the head whole your at it and to raise compression. That is if your pistons won't do the job for you.

I said that because the cometic gasket needs a very good Ra to adhere the viton perfectly, if you add forged internals that must mean you plan on adding a lot of power. That means you need a near perfect seal.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Ra is surface smoothness, you don't need to mill the block to improve that.

OP you can't just stick new parts in without any machining. Cosmetic gasket is pointless if you are keeping standard size and trying to lower compression.

These threads are getting ridiculous and you're no help Donjulio.

zack11122

You really should read up if you're building your car and don't know much about head gaskets and simple things. Not being an ass.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
I also would resurface. Especially with that many miles. Plus the machine shop should hone the cylinders and give the head a valve job.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
technically correct. the best kind of correct.

functionteg

Thanks guys, so does anybody know if I have to take everything out of the block in order to get it resurfaced?? Or would a machine shop do it with the crank still in

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Some will let you leave the crank in, BUT if you're going through the trouble of installing new pistons, honing cylinders, etc, it would only make sense to replace all the bearings. The price is minimal for oem bearings and with that many miles it probably needs them.