Eats antifreeze

RS01

Just picked up a 91 RS with a meager 244K on it. Car just needs some basic wrenching which we are doing. The big problem is the anti-freeze it's eating. Compression was 180 on all 4 cylinders. Car sits overnight - no problem and starts with minimal fuss or smoke. If you start it after running errands around town, you get a huge cloud of white smoke with the smell of anti-freeze every time. The starts are hard with a lot of missing until it clears the fluid out. No oil in water or water in oil. I was thinking intake gasket but after reading the forum I'm thinking head gasket. The car makes solid power and has a new aluminum rad and heater core installed.

Replacing the heater core was fun. :lol:

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
You definitely have a head gasket issue.

white smoke antifreeze smell ( I.E. sweet smell) are 2 big indicators alone... you may not always see AF in oil or vice versa on these cars... Typically the issue would be worse when cold as any cracks in the HG tend to seal with the expansion of the metal etc when warm, but if there is a leak that is allowing exhaust gasses to escape into the cooling system which in turn creates pressure forcing coolant back in.. you will end up with issues like fouled o2 sensor and what you are describing.

Just to verify have a mechanic perform a block test for you... This test will tell you if there are exhaust gasses mixed with the coolant.

Based on what you are saying though I definitely suspect your HG is bad...

dopematic

I second the Head gasket. It may not be as severe right now to significantly leak oil/coolant across the block but it eventually will as it gets worse over time.

Do a leakdown test to verify bad Head Gasket.

RS01

I won't be able to do a leak down test because of where I am located. But, I have the complete engine gasket kit and am ready to tear into to it and replace the head gasket. I might be able to do a pressure test. One of the things that threw me was the lack of bubbles in the coolant when I had the rad cap off.

This site is cool.

djzachtyler

go to G2IC.com as well... we have a second generation specific community over there also... lots of good info posted up there :)

RS01

The verdict is in. Have water in oil and the oil level on the dipstick is about an inch above the full mark. Car is parked and wrenching is next.

djzachtyler

yeah that sucks bud... HG issues are always a b**** to deal with... make sure when you replace the gasket you spring for some ARP head bolts... you don't necessarily want to re use the old ones as they can be stretched and snap off when re torquing them.

Also use a flat edge ( like a ruler) to make sure the bottom of the head is flat all the way across... if it isn't you will need to have the head milled flat so you don't have a recurring problem. this latter part would only be a major concern if you have been driving it alot and had more than a couple overheats.

RS01

Thanks for the heads up. I was wondering about the head bolts. We do plan to check the head with a straight edge.

Ouch! Those are expensive @$150 smackers.

Last edited: