Electrical Problems Driving Me Insane, Help!

Crusty_Cowboy

Hi all. Noobie here with an electrical problem that is driving me insane. I have searched the forums of this site as well as other sites. I've Googled for hours over the past month, more hours than I can count with no luck. My last resort...asking you good people for help.

I have a 1991 Integra GS, B18A1 with a 5-speed transmission, here is my issue:
While sitting at idle, when I press the brake pedal, the motor sputters and almost shuts off. When I take my foot off the brake pedal, it idles normal. It does this when I turn on the rear defrost, or when I turn on the headlights, or when I let the electric windows up and down. It does this when I turn on the front or back windshield wipers. Every use of electricity cause my engine to bog down. My Kenwood radio will turn on sometimes. When it does and I turn the volume up to about 20, the radio will shut down. It may come back on, it may not. From what I understand, the radio does this if there isn't enough power for it to work.
Here is what I've done already to try to solve the problem:
I've put an alternator on that falls in the OE specs for my vehicle, a 65 amp, 12 volt alternator. I installed it a little over a month ago. I had it tested last week. It's putting out 15.3 volts. I put new battery cables on it. When I saw I had the same problems, I grounded the negative battery cable to the engine block...same problems. I grounded the engine to the body using I wire the size of the negative battery. I cleaned the battery terminals. The battery was tested, it's fine. I cleaned the stud on the alternator that the electrical wire connects from the fuse box under the hood. I've double checked every fuse. There is a ground wire connected to the thermostat housing, I've cleaned that, too.
While performing my google search, I came across a a thread in a forum that talked about the ICU going bad. At that time, my rear defroster wasn't working. Neither was the intermediate wipers. My oil light was blinking and I had perfect oil pressure. I went to Radioshack, got the capacitors and diode I needed, took out the bad ones and soldered in the new ones. Now my rear defroster, intermediate wipes work and my oil light is off.
I don't know where to go from here. Maybe the ECU? Maybe another problem that I can't figure out? If you have ANY ideas, any at all please let me know. I've never let a project or problem beat me, but this one is getting close to. Thanks in advance...Crusty

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
What's your rpm at idle?

What's your rpm drop to when you press the brake pedal in?

It could be something as simple as your Iacv.

This valve adjust airflow depending on engine load to maintain smooth idle operation.
An example would be powersteering load.

It's probably clogged.

Crusty_Cowboy

It idles at about 750 rpm and drops to about 250 rpm when I do any of the things I mentioned before. I removed the IACV a few weeks ago and cleaned it due to idle problems. I didn't mention that before because the radio, wipers, rear defrost are electric and I didn't think that had anything to do with it. Now that I think of it, the IACV IS electric. All vacuum lines, water lines and fuel lines have been replaced new. Fuel filter, air filter oil filter new.

t-888

if no check engine code /ecu light code.

With the car idling. Disconnect the connector to the IAC valve.does the rpms drop.if yes check connections at IAC Valve,left shock tower and ecu. Still giving you problems. With engine still running. Remove IAC valve connector and check voltage on black/yellow wire. If no voltage you have a break in the wire betwene the valve and PGM-FI main relay. You can test if IAC-V is working by removing the connector. Then putting 12v+ to the pin wear the black/yellow wire connects. and grounding the point wear blue yellow gos on valve. Then listen for it to click.

hears a link to a service manual http://downloads.hondatech.info/Auto/Manuals/Integra/Ab0VE.Acura Integra DA9, DB1, DB2(93) Service Manual.zip

trouble shooting these symptoms starts on page 254. good luck.

uso_Dc

check your output voltage at the alternator. seems like you have too much of a draw on the system for the car to hold up the rpm and current through the system.