engine swap, NOOB questions.

one_stitch

Ok so here is the deal. Recently I bought a 1993 Integra LS. Has an aftermarket header, no cat, exhaust has been done correctly recently, has an aftermarket ebay short ram intake. I think it runs really strong. I was planning on getting a cold air Injen or AEM intake soon and possibly put in some cams. But ya know, I ran into a dude I know today who also has a second gen integra and has it built to the gills, b18, turbo,gauges out the ass, the whole bit. He of course starts in on how I need to do a swap to a b18. its kind of been bugging me all day. I have done an engine swap on a 93 civic I had and, personally, it was a pain in the ass. I like doing small projects but I dont care to do that again. My question is would doing this engine swap from the LS motor to a b18 really be worth it? I am not gonna race the thing.All i wanted was a really strong daily driver. But I mean, other than swapping the motor, wouldn't that follow a new wiring harness, and a new ecu and a transmission to get the full effect of the swap? SO basically am I wasting my time and money trying to get some performance out of the LS motor? Is it really a mojor undertaking to do the swap? What is the real deal? A lot of people try to over simplify the act of an engine swap...... What do you guys think? Can a LS motor be a strong, fast motor or is it really a waste of time and hope to try to work with it?

don991687

1lightdc
Ok so here is the deal. Recently I bought a 1993 Integra LS. Has an aftermarket header, no cat, exhaust has been done correctly recently, has an aftermarket ebay short ram intake. I think it runs really strong. I was planning on getting a cold air Injen or AEM intake soon and possibly put in some cams. But ya know, I ran into a dude I know today who also has a second gen integra and has it built to the gills, b18, turbo,gauges out the ass, the whole bit. He of course starts in on how I need to do a swap to a b18. its kind of been bugging me all day. I have done an engine swap on a 93 civic I had and, personally, it was a pain in the ass. I like doing small projects but I dont care to do that again. My question is would doing this engine swap from the LS motor to a b18 really be worth it? I am not gonna race the thing.All i wanted was a really strong daily driver. But I mean, other than swapping the motor, wouldn't that follow a new wiring harness, and a new ecu and a transmission to get the full effect of the swap? SO basically am I wasting my time and money trying to get some performance out of the LS motor? Is it really a mojor undertaking to do the swap? What is the real deal? A lot of people try to over simplify the act of an engine swap...... What do you guys think? Can a LS motor be a strong, fast motor or is it really a waste of time and hope to try to work with it?
go ls/vtec

or if you can get the b18c and swap do it, its definitely worth it.

I think that kid doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground considering that you already have a b18 in your Integra.
Do not take advice on your car from that moron, ever.

mirrorimg

Your car has a B18A1. If the other guy has an LS he has a B18B1, if its a GSR its a B18C1. You both have B18's regardless.

You can get a OBD1 94-95 LS ECU and the cams from a 94+ LS and be on par with the B18B1. (Not sure whether upgrades from the A1 to the B1 came to the Intake or the Exhaust cam though.)

That is pretty much the skinny between the 90-93 LS and the 94-01 LS.

Can a LS motor be a strong, fast motor or is it really a waste of time and hope to try to work with it?
Sure it can be a powerful motor. It just depends on how much money you want to spend. You can always just turbocharge it, and get it tuned and leave it at that. Building it up N/A will be very expensive.

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
go ls/vtec

or if you can get the b18c and swap do it, its definitely worth it.
LS/VTEC is a poor setup choice for a lot of reasons IMO. I won't get into it too heavily, but why swap a VTEC head to a block with a rotating assembly that isn't balanced enough to rev to the optimum RPM range for VTEC? For a few extra CC's of displacement?

OP I DON'T recommend an LS/VTEC setup. If you'd like to add relatively cost-effective power turbocharge your B18A1 or swap a B18B1 long block then turbocharge, I promise you'll be happy with the power and power band (with a well-chosen turbo of course :lol:)

I think that kid doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground considering that you already have a b18 in your Integra.
Do not take advice on your car from that moron, ever.
^This too

Your car has a B18A1. If the other guy has an LS he has a B18B1, if its a GSR its a B18C1. You both have B18's regardless.

You can get a OBD1 94-95 LS ECU and the cams from a 94+ LS and be on par with the B18B1. (Not sure whether upgrades from the A1 to the B1 came to the Intake or the Exhaust cam though.)

That is pretty much the skinny between the 90-93 LS and the 94-01 LS.

Sure it can be a powerful motor. It just depends on how much money you want to spend. You can always just turbocharge it, and get it tuned and leave it at that. Building it up N/A will be very expensive.
^This too.

How many miles are on the car/motor?

one_stitch

right now the current engine has around 150k on it. I would love to turbo charge it. the only issue is the money. to do it right, we are talking about 2000 bux easy right? i dont know, i just got the car at a really good deal. should have done a litle more research on the different motor types. I feel sick, I can not be satisfied knowing that my car has the wrong motor. I cant afford to turbo charge it now, maybe one day. I love the car....no plans to get rid of it so maybe I will in the future. I wish there were some quick improvements i could do now to get some more power. At least until I swap or turbo.

DumaDa9

if you have a 1993 teg there is only a 2hp difference from your b18a1 and a b18b1, There is no use in swapping to that motor unless you just want something with lower mileage, you're not going to feel any gain from that. If you want to do something for your car without swapping it that will make a huge difference, swap to either a b16 or gsr cable transmission. The long ass geared ls transmission is whats holding it back

Khoshabalas

To me, I don't see the point of a "Strong daily driver". Isn't that like saying, i want a gun but i never want to shoot it? I agree that if you're looking for a swap it should be a b16, easy swap and there good on gas with a good amount of power. b16c5? whoo. I personally don't think this makes much sense. The whole getting a cold air thing isn't really a big "Power booster" either. Stick with what you have an just build a motor on the side if you're looking for "power."

wite2nr

^^^ b16's don't belong in tegs.

there is nothing wrong with a properly built ls/v setup. unfortunately, most people that attempt to put one together half-ass or cheap out in certain areas, giving the concept a bad reputation. IMO, that would be your cheapest, most cost effective, and most fun alternative to swapping your motor. plus you will have vtec. owning a honda without vtec is like being married to jessica alba but not being able to have mattress mambo. you gotta hit it at least once daily.

one_stitch

thanks for all of the input. most f it was really helpful and positive except for the dick who doesn't understand having a daily driver that I want to improve. I dont really need to explain why I want more power as a daily driver but just for you dude.....some of us aren't out on the drag strip Some of us have lives, kids, jobs. My want for more speed should be explaination enough. Can I not have fun and enjoy driving something everyday that has balls. Thats it.SO if you still don't understand the concept....fuk off asshole. Wasn't asking for a debate. Just tips. To everyone else....thanks a whole lot. Clearly you all get it.

DumaDa9

lol thats what the car comes stock with in japan, what you mean it doesnt belong in tegs:nono:
You could always do what i did, pick up a shorter geared transmission and swap out your ls for a b20, later down the road if you get bored, go b20vtec, i guarantee you'll enjoy that haha

wite2nr

lol thats what the car comes stock with in japan, what you mean it doesnt belong in tegs:nono:
You could always do what i did, pick up a shorter geared transmission and swap out your ls for a b20, later down the road if you get bored, go b20vtec, i guarantee you'll enjoy that haha
I know some DA's came from the factory with b16 motors. But I still uphold my statement "b16's don't belong in tegs"

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg

there is nothing wrong with a properly built ls/v setup. unfortunately, most people that attempt to put one together half-ass or cheap out in certain areas, giving the concept a bad reputation. IMO, that would be your cheapest, most cost effective, and most fun alternative to swapping your motor. plus you will have vtec. owning a honda without vtec is like being married to jessica alba but not being able to have mattress mambo. you gotta hit it at least once daily.
A properly build one CAN be nice, but a properly build LS/V requires getting a bottom end from a GSR (or equivalent) or buying a complete, balanced aftermarket rotating assembly. Stock LS internals aren't meant to wind up to 8k+. Also, the lower compression on a stock A1/B1 bottom end doesn't really do much for you.

I know some DA's came from the factory with b16 motors. But I still uphold my statement "b16's don't belong in tegs"
On this I say, THANK YOU! :D I never understood why people put B16's in DA's. Displacement delete anyone?