failing starter/distributor??

janathan5

I have a 90 gs 4 Dr and this problem started a couple of days ago. When I go to start the car, I get one click with no ignition but on the second try, there is no problem. It starts right up. Then yesterday, the car sat all day but then started on the third day. So my question is does anyone know which part needs to be changed? Mahalo.

Nick_C78

Distributor has nothing to do with the problem you are having. You either have poor connection going to the starter or the solenoid on the starter is going out. Could also be the starter relay going out too. Starting issues can be a handful of things really, but the fact that it clicks, but does nothing else eliminates a lot of potential issues. My vote is on connection(Either on the battery side or the starter side) or solenoid going bad.

Ryan659

While you have the starter off, check the internal copper contact points inside the starter. They get worn down after so many years. Mine did the exact samething and instead of having to buy a new starter, I paid 10 bucks for a rebuild kit from Toyota. Certain Hondas and Toyota used the same starter but Honda doesn't offer the rebuild kit as Toyota does.

To get to the internal contact points, just remove the three small screws that form a triangle shape