Fan Control Switch Speeds 1,2,3 stopped working...Why please?!

IntegraGaucho

I apologize...I didn't see any other threads regarding this problem. The history of the problem:

1. Replaced Blower motor and resistor (albeit from salvage yard...they were not new) earlier in year.

2. Speeds 1 2 3 worked for awhile....but not 4.

3. After awhile speeds 1 2 3 stopped working too but I could still get them to work if I jiggled the speed switch a little....had to jiiggle hard at times for 1 2 or 3 to work.

4. NOW....NO speeds work with or without jiggling.

Is it a switch, the plug to the switch, the resistor...all of the above?

Any ideas how to simply troubleshoot and narrow the problem down?

My feeling is that its the switch but can I buy just the cylindrical switch on its own from somewhere?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Chris

mirrorimg

I would assume its a connection between the heater control and blower. Pull the control out. and troubleshoot from there. I know that the plug in my 3rd gen really doesn't extend out beyond the dashboard, so not sure far you can pull yours out. You may need to cut the ziptie holding the harness in to get some added length to work with.

kfed

Before trouble shooting. Get a switch from a junk and replace the switch. It is the easiest thing to do before trouble shooting.

lshitegra90

its your resistor on your blower motor. its on the white plastic air box of the blower motor which is on the

passenger side behind the glove box. take the glove box out and there is a plug going into the top of the air box

with 4 or 5 wires. the resistor is held in by 2 screws. its like 20 bucks at auto zone or advance.

jimwww

My heat works in 3 or 4 mode but not much heat is moved at all in 1 or 2 (very little)

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
^^
those switches are very common to go out on da's. I've owned 3 personally, and have had 6 go thru my crew and all but 2 of them have had a problem at some point with the resistors inside the switch. easiest fix was to get a new one from the junk yard

jimwww

Good to know that it is the switch. DO i get the entire assembly or just what is behind the knob or?