General questions. Should I buy this car? Need fast help.

NewTeg

Okay so I'm looking to buy a 90 teg and want some advice and things to look for. I also have some general questions and would greatly appreciate some info. I want to know if based on the details I give you guys think this is a good purchase.

It's a 1990 GS with a 115k ish mileage B20 in it. It has a 3 month old (stock GS) transmission with new clutch and everything (zero grinding or popping out). The paint is a good 6 or 7 out of a 10 with no chips,rust or major flaws but it's a red car so some areas look a bit faded and pinkish. Car comes with a CD player, racing steering wheel, carbon fiber hood and is otherwise completely stock. It has some cheap/loud muffler on it but I'll replace with I/H/E shortly after buying it anyways so that doesn't matter to me. The interior is in superb shape for a 1990 and has zero tears in the seats, no cracks in dash and good conditioned carpet.

He agreed to have it cleared by my mechanic but told me that the only thing wrong with it is blown struts (very easy fix, can do myself). If that is indeed all that is wrong do you guys feel 1700 or 1800 bucks is a fair price?

Also some performance questions. I'm coming from an STI and realize I'm not going to get anywhere near that performance but is a non vtec B20 Integra worth putting much time or effort into? I hear swapping the Vtec heads onto the B20 can cause reliability issues? Does a non Vtec B20 have much potential in itself?

All I want is a good 200 whp, quick, reliable DD that can handle well. Maybe run high 13's or low 14's. In otherwords reasonably good performer and "quick" but not "fast".

NewTeg

Oh I got him to knock off 100 bucks tonight because I forgot to mention I live in California so I have to pay 100 to pass smog illegally (not done yet). How risky is the swapped motor business? Don't cops here automatically crush your car if you don't have the original engine and you fail the BAR or w/e? I don't drive like a douche and won't draw attention to myself if possible. Always abide by driving laws but I do like my cars loud.

92_JDM

I live in CA too, i have a b20b in my car at the moment, its very torque-y. In power wise, its not that strong on the high end, thats where basic bolts comes on etc... and yes i am scared to get pull over by the cops so right now im trying to get it bar'd asap.

NewTeg

Hmm... I'm thinking of not getting it and getting a B18 teg instead. My favorite car by far I ever owned was my AP1 Honda S2000. I loved the go cart feeling and insanely high revs/Vtec crossover. It was so exhilarating it felt similar to a turbo in the way the power curve is on the S2K. Can I get that from any other Honda?

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
several Cali teg guys have b20 swaps over on G2IC and have had no issues.. getting it BAR'd seems to still be a grey area to keep it legal, but a few have em with no issues ands have had em pass legally.

If you are going to DD & track it you are sort of restricted on the exhaust manifold side of the piping as it cannot exceed 2.25" & you have to have CARB legal intake and Exhaust which limits you to pretty much AEM Intake and DC Sports 4-2-1 Header. There are a couple others, but AEM & DC Sports are the most reputable :) Also cannot run a High flow cat for street use unless you get an illegal smog.

Cops won't crush your car but they will make you park it until you get it BAR'd. I mean unless you are driving like an ass or have a really loud fart can it isn't likely they will just pull you over for an inspection.