help battery light!!!!

omgteg

Ok guys here's the deal. I have been having this problem for a while and its really irritating! My car would not stay running and the battery light would be on. My friend took the positive connector off (while it was at idle) and the light would go off.... so i switched out the battery, the whole ground wire and terminal ends on both pos and neg,switched out the blown fusible link. When i switched out the battery the car ran and started up fine for about 3 days and it died on me last night on my way home from work while i was driving. Started up just fine when i left work. And had to jump it at the gas station. Stalled out a mile down the road. The battery light will just flicker or go on and off randomly in no specific pattern. I changed the alt about 6 months ago and the belt is tight. Please help me!! Sorry its a 93 teg ls btw. I don't want to replace the alt again unless i have to.... it was hell the first time. Please help me I would really appreciate it!!!!!

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Have you checked the voltage while the car is running to make sure the alternator is operating properly? Only other thing I can think of is you have some parasitic loss somewhere, like a light that isn't shutting off or a exposed wire draining the battery.

omgteg

No I haven't checked alt. how can I do that? And do I need to take it out to check it or get it tested? Why would the light be on while the cars running if there was a light that wouldn't shut off?

omgteg

And it stays running when I remove the battery wire. So that makes me think it's not the alt. but I'm no guru so idk

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
No I haven't checked alt. how can I do that? And do I need to take it out to check it or get it tested? Why would the light be on while the cars running if there was a light that wouldn't shut off?
Simple way is checking the voltage on the battery when the car is running, should be like 14-15v because it is being charged by the alternator.

omgteg

turns out the alternator was bad... out of the box.. of course. Time for hell... changing it again.