How to drain tranny fluid?

g3teg97

Super Moderator
I'm going to get some Honda Manual Transmission fluid and flush out and replace most of my fluid. (I'm not paying over $300 for a 120k mile checkup when I can do most the stuff myself). I've never done this before, but it can't be anymore difficult than changing your oil and that's cake.

My question is, what do I need to do and how do I flush the tranny fluid out?

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
draining is rather easy, lift the car theres two bolts on the side of the tranny one is on top of the other, take the lower one out and it will drain... theres like 6 quarts of oil so be ready... to fill it back up you might need a buddy to make it alot easier.. put the botton bolt back on and take the upper one off.. you need a hose and a funnel ,the hose has to be long enough to make out to the side of the teggy and pretty slim so it fits in the hole ...while you hold the hose on the botton tell your buddy to hook the funnel to the hose and start to put the fluid in... put you finger in the hole and make sure the level is right at the lever of the hole,, if it overfills its gona start coming out.... once its filled up put the bolt back on and youre done... (remember to check how much oil goes in there ... 6 quart is an approximation,,, havent done it in a long time) hope this helps...

slikk

Money Getter
g3teg97 said:
I'm going to get some Honda Manual Transmission fluid and flush out and replace most of my fluid. (I'm not paying over $300 for a 120k mile checkup when I can do most the stuff myself). I've never done this before, but it can't be anymore difficult than changing your oil and that's cake.

My question is, what do I need to do and how do I flush the tranny fluid out?

ha ha ha have fun .. thats goin to be a bitch

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
cabezzz's directions are right, it's kind of a pain in the butt to do. Changing oil is much easier, it's just putting the new fluid in that's a pain. What I did was I bought a pressurized hand pump, you know the kind where you pull back the handle to draw the fluid in the pump body, then push the handle back into the pump body to squirt it back out. I filled it back up that way, it was like $12 for the pump at the auto parts store. Or you could buy a really long bending funnel, like cabezzz said.
btw, when I changed mine, only a bit less than 3 quarts came out. There may be 6 quarts in there, but not all of it comes out when you pull the drain plug. In fact, according to my owners manual (page 209) it says only 2.3 quarts will drain from a manual tranny, and only 2.9 quarts from an automatic tranny.